Need help editing

TreeofLifeStairs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
treeoflifestairs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this family photo last Christmas and am just now even looking at it for editing. I'm having troubles with some white balance issues where the flash was considerably different in color temperature than the lighting in the room. I only had one flash and was trying to make do with whatever light I could use (I don't remember the picture looking so dark in camera). Any other suggestions would be welcomed as well. I included the original so that you can see what the starting point was.

I chose this one since it had the most people looking the best. My son (the little boy on the right) was the only one that didn't look half bad so I overlaid him with a better picture of him that also didn't have the dog.

DSC06558 original.jpg
DSC06558-Edit.jpg

Let me know your thoughts.

One other thing I just thought of is that I'm planning on printing this on canvas; at least 24" x 20". The original is 6000 x 4000, but it was shot at 400 iso and with all the editing, I just want to get your opinion on if this pic will even look decent. I guess I'm worried about some of the noise that I see when I zoom in while editing.

There was flash used in the original? Sure doesn’t look like it. It is severely under exposed.

Bring gown the highlights in your edit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked the dog but if you're going to eliminate him you might want to clone out the pillow as well.

I'm assuming you have the raw file? 5 mins in LR. your original bumped exposure 2.3 and WB corrected. Decreased highlights and bumped shadows. Dropped the whites, and added a medium contrast. Used adjustment brush to burn down the background, and adjust the detail and hue on the faces. Decreased the noise, and slight sharpen. If I had the raw file I'd probably take it into PS and tone map the faces so they matched a little better, and work on the overall hue, but you actually have a lot to work with in the original.
DSC06558 original-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back