Need help, how do I get this effect??

scottsdaleriots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I'm new here *I just joined a few minutes ago). Can someone please tell me how I would get these effects? I tried asking the original photographer but they never replied. I want to know the exposure mode and ISO. Particually the second one (of the the tree), I know you need water and a really long/slow shutter speed (I'm guessing about 2 or 3 seconds) and you would probably need a neutral density filter (but I don't know how many stops, if it's -2 or -3) to realistically achieve the 'misty/fog' effect. That would be from water right? (Trying to find where I got these pics from, so I can get links)
47u5.jpg
thr-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like both photos represents the moment quite good, not much chopin' involved. that is.

The first one looks like a concertphoto or something on a stage. Since it has such a dark background the EXIF should be something like iso 1600 ƒ/4 and 1/500s WB should be tungsten.
This is what the DOF and the almost freezed hair looks like.

The second one is shooted an early morning i sidelight. The mist is coming from a small lake or the wet trees when they gets warmed up by the sun.
A small aparture like 16 and probably iso 200 was used. Converted into sepia-tone i post.

The first shot could have been done several different ways such as using a greenscreen while the light is concentrated on the main subject (person) or the background is too dark to be recorded.

The second shot is a simple early morning shot of the tree with the early morning mist/fog at ground level. No special settings are needed to get this shot. You may have to find a place near water such as the lake or river..

Specific numbers are difficult to give, and in fact if you had the exact figures the lighting may not be the same.

It can give you an idea but that is a general starting point; your conditions are going to vary.

Need help, how do I get this effect??
There are no 'effects' in either photo, save the B&W conversion done to the tree/fog shot, just decent photography.

So I would say, to make photos like those you just need to learn how to do photography.

So I would say, to make photos like those you just need to learn how to do photography.
I am keen to learn more about photography that's why I asked what sort of settings I would need to achieve a similar effect/type of shot as the examples posted. Sometimes the EXIF doesn't show up or is disabled, and I asked the original photographer a few weeks ago but they never replied.

Looks like both photos represents the moment quite good, not much chopin' involved. that is.

The first one looks like a concertphoto or something on a stage. Since it has such a dark background the EXIF should be something like iso 1600 ƒ/4 and 1/500s WB should be tungsten.

The second one is shooted an early morning i sidelight. The mist is coming from a small lake or the wet trees when they gets warmed up by the sun.
A small aparture like 16 and probably iso 200 was used. Converted into sepia-tone i post.
yeah the first pic is from a live outdoor concert. I don't know what time of day it was though, it wasn't at night that's for sure. For the second picture you think the light would be coming from the side?

The first shot could have been done several different ways such as using a greenscreen while the light is concentrated on the main subject (person) or the background is too dark to be recorded.

The second shot is a simple early morning shot of the tree with the early morning mist/fog at ground level. No special settings are needed to get this shot. You may have to find a place near water such as the lake or river..
SO that mistry/fog effect you see i9n photos it could also be of an actualy mist/fog. Someone told me you could only get that smooth/silky fog/misty effect with a slow shutter speed with only water (lake/ocean, etc). A neutral density filter wouldn't be needed/used? Thanks for your and Lodd's input, it helped me understand what I would need to do to get that effect in-camera.

SO that mistry/fog effect you see i9n photos it could also be of an actualy mist/fog. Someone told me you could only get that smooth/silky fog/misty effect with a slow shutter speed with only water (lake/ocean, etc). A neutral density filter wouldn't be needed/used? Thanks for your and Lodd's input, it helped me understand what I would need to do to get that effect in-camera.

I've shot many fog/mist shots without using any special effects. You just need to be at the right place at the right time usually just after sunrise..

wvya76.jpg
I found this pic on a blog (so I can't give an original link to it). Just to clarify, obviously this photo was taken in colour but they turned it B+W in PS. They would've metered off the sun and change it to manual and underexposed by 2 stops? How did they achieve the almost blackness of the kid? I know it's a sihlouette but what kind of shutter speed and aperture (I'm guessing f8 maybe f16?) do you think they used to get some detail in the sky/clouds and the water? It's basic, but I like the photo and would like to achieve a very similar 'effect' to it.

I am keen to learn more about photography that's why I asked what sort of settings I would need to achieve a similar effect/type of shot as the examples posted. Sometimes the EXIF doesn't show up or is disabled, and I asked the original photographer a few weeks ago but they never replied. His exif isn't going to do you much if any good. It's all about metering the light you are working in. You could make that image in almost any light except direct, harsh sunlight. However you could make it very similar in direct sunlight-you just won't have the fog rolling through. It's all about knowing the camera and understanding what manipulating the settings will do at different times. I could tell you to try early morning and f/8, shutter of 1/250 and an ISO of 100, but it will probably be totally wrong. Could be over exposed, could be underexposed depending on the time and the day. You have to meter or measure the light you are working with and decide what is needed based on knowledge of how shutter speed, aperture and ISO work together. Sorry!

yeah the first pic is from a live outdoor concert. I don't know what time of day it was though, it wasn't at night that's for sure. For the second picture you think the light would be coming from the side?

You can only get the smooth, silky misty effect in a waterfall with a ND filter, but no, you can photograph real fog/mist without one. You can actually photograph a waterfall without one too by using a tripod and a SLOW shutter speed, but a ND filter gives a nicer effect.

Really, you just need to take the time to learn about photography, exposure and how it all works together. That will allow you to look at any image and have a pretty good idea how it's made.

you're really not supposed to post someone else's photos without their permission...someone is slipping!

Neither of the pictures you posted looked like they had anything really special going on. Looks more like right place at the right time.

This was useful,thanks.

Most reactions

Back