Need Help, lens mount identification

nitris223

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone know what mount this is. I am trying to buy a Vivitar series 1 70-210mm, 75-205, or a nikon 80-200mm manual lens for macro shots and some playing around on my D5100. Just want to get something cheap for the time being to see if I want a dedicated lens or not. From what I can find on the internet pictures it looks like a Pentax mount. I can find tons of Canon, or minolta mounts for cheap but when it comes to one with a Nikon mount the price seems to double. Found a mint Vivitar series 1 70 - 210mm , looks like it was never used . Dam thing had a canon FD mount. Not sure if it would still work right with a canon to Nikon mount.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's not pentax. Maybe an older/weird pentax, not pentax K, though.

No idea what it might be.

As to why nikons are more expensive than canon lenses: Nikons work without adapters on modern cameras further back than Canon ones do, AND nikon lenses can be adapted to canon mount without and lenses added, but not the other way around. So there's more demand for them for both reasons.

i would have to see it from the side more, but it LOOKS like a m42 thread mount. is it threaded on the side? really cant tell from the pic.
if so, it would work on a canon with an adapter, but i dont think it will on a nikon.

So there is no adapter for M42 to Nikon F mount. This is the best picture the guy sent me. I asked about threads on the side and he did reply saying there was threads and it looked like the lens could be screwed on in a clockwise fashion. I was hoping to land one of these before my trip in 3 weeks but it is not looking so good right now with shipping time in between. Unless I get lucky and find one in Canada.

Maybe this picture is better. Looks like threads on the side.

i must be getting old...
you really need to light this better. i cannot see the sides well. (at all) i cant tell if that is a threaded mount or not. is it threaded? or does it have flanges?

The single stop-down pin (the little silver pin) and the "A" around the barrel make it look like this is an M42 thread mount lens. I pulled the image into Lightroom and tried lifting the shadows--the image falls apart pretty badly, but it look like the mount is threaded.

WHat's the FRONT ring say?

It's been a long,long time, but I seem to recall some kind of variants in the M42 mounts that had that partial "lip" seen there on the left side of thr picture; seems like those vafiants on M42 came later, with some of the more "electronic" 35mm film SLRs of the 1970s...like something made by GAF, Chinon, or Fujica, or Ricoh, perhaps??? Perhaps even Pentax had a camera that used some kind of full-aperture metering that used that partial lip as some sort of an index, or key-stop, to tell the meter the lens's maximum f/stop or something (I'm reaching back to the mid-1970's here people...those memory cells are weak! weak I tell ya'!)

The single stop-down pin (the little silver pin) and the "A" around the barrel make it look like this is an M42 thread mount lens. I pulled the image into Lightroom and tried lifting the shadows--the image falls apart pretty badly, but it look like the mount is threaded.

WHat's the FRONT ring say?

It's been a long,long time, but I seem to recall some kind of variants in the M42 mounts that had that partial "lip" seen there on the left side of thr picture; seems like those vafiants on M42 came later, with some of the more "electronic" 35mm film SLRs of the 1970s...like something made by GAF, Chinon, or Fujica, or Ricoh, perhaps??? Perhaps even Pentax had a camera that used some kind of full-aperture metering that used that partial lip as some sort of an index, or key-stop, to tell the meter the lens's maximum f/stop or something (I'm reaching back to the mid-1970's here people...those memory cells are weak! weak I tell ya'!)

Thanks Derrel.

Thought it looked like m42.

I don't think it looks like any of the screw mount lenses I have but of course that doesn't mean it isn't some brand of screw mount lens. You could try looking at this lens mount guide - at the bottom you'll see links to Parts 2 and 3.

KEH Camera Blog: The Lens Mount Guide: Part 1

Might be worth checking out Nikon AiS E-Series. I picked up a 100mm 2.8 for 20 bucks at a local garage sale

Most reactions

New Topics

Back