Need help on this

I think I would try to loose the tree behind the man somehow and get more details into the bear, ofcourse this is just my idea (the edit is only created to give an impression for when the tree would be gone!)
The color looks a little too blue, but that's absolutely personal.
I like the idea, but would have left both persons slightly more into focus.

View attachment 139103

Some changes but Im still disappointed with the dof :apologetic:
Bear.jpg
about the DOF

I guess secondary could I have done better with it in the first place, Appreciate the help
Needs more separation, particularly with the man and the tree. Way too much blur, IMO. Also, quite dark.

Less blur, more light, separate subjects from background. I think your subjects should be readily recognizable, and a slight blur will work.
Agree! Significantly under-exposed, and unless the bear has blue fur, the WB needs a tweak as well.

Something that has me a little confused, well not confused more wondering, I used aperture priority taking this. how come it left it underexposed, Im sure I have answered this myself in the past but anyway.

Because it metered for the large bright area of sky in the middle of the image. This is why a hand-held incident meter is still a very useful instrument.

The bear seems to exposed properly. Lacking a light meter, you could bracket your shot and then pick the best one later.

I have one.

On my wish list. :p

I picked up a used Sekonic L308BII for less than a $100. Best money I've ever spent! It's so much quicker to dial in the exposure.

Last edited:
I like the second edit. The DOF is quite shallow but honestly I think it still works and I like the location. I like that the tree mimics his body posture.

If I were to re-shoot, Id use same location, up the exposure, have a little more space between him and the tree (like a half step) and shoot at f/4, maybe f/5.6 and have the bear and them centered like the second edit

Most reactions

Back