Need help organizing my website

I really like the site Nerwin. I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said. I think your really talented and should be very proud of your work. I really think it is fine the way it is. The only thing, maybe offer the availability to buy prints. I am no where near your level and people have had to insist on buying prints from me. I don't even have a site. Well done.... Any lenses to sell?

It looks like a good start. I think there could even be a B&W category. I also think that the number of images could be knocked down a lot within each category. Where a lot of images works is where you are showing a subject that others are interested, i.e.: cars, buildings, trains, sports, etc. In your case the site is to showcase your best work. Sometimes it can help to have someone else curate for you. As the photographer, you know things about each piece of work that can make it very difficult to remove. Often the removal is not because the image is bad, it just does not add to current presentation.

So one goal could be that instead of adding more images, try and remove one image in each category each week this month (starting with the duplicated dragonfly). Later I think you could add some categories and start putting some of the pulled images back in along with some new work.

As usual, I'm putting way too much thought into it. I just wanted to keep it simple haha. I don't want too many galleries.

Thanks for the awesome advice, much appreciated.

I really like the site Nerwin. I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said. I think your really talented and should be very proud of your work. I really think it is fine the way it is. The only thing, maybe offer the availability to buy prints. I am no where near your level and people have had to insist on buying prints from me. I don't even have a site. Well done.... Any lenses to sell?

I haven't figured out the print thing yet. Prints are hard to sell, especially when you are trying to make money. I've sold a few, but they were private sales and done via email. Unfortunately Adobe Portfolio doesn't have any e-commerce function at this time, so I'd probably have to use a service or something which I'm a little skeptical on. I do mention in the contact page that I sell prints if asked haha. Better than nothing I guess!

Nah no lenses sell yet. Gotta buy them first!! :D

Your urban/architecture page has three images that _I_ would kill-file. As mentioned above, very tough to self-curate, but the alley, the one buildins shot, and the "other one" are nowhere near as good as the better ones in that section. Same with the first page...2 of your BEST images are at the bottom of Page 1...ought to be up top.

The mix of color and B&W in the landscapes looks "off" to me...

Your urban/architecture page has three images that _I_ would kill-file. As mentioned above, very tough to self-curate, but the alley, the one buildins shot, and the "other one" are nowhere near as good as the better ones in that section. Same with the first page...2 of your BEST images are at the bottom of Page 1...ought to be up top.

The mix of color and B&W in the landscapes looks "off" to me...

Maybe quality is better than quantity in this case.

So maybe having a b&w gallery separate and keep color photos together would be better?

YES...I think mixing color and B&W landscapes dilutes both. Fewer and better is "mo-betta'!" than more and lesser.

YES...I think mixing color and B&W landscapes dilutes both. Fewer and better is "mo-betta'!" than more and lesser.

It's fine to put landscapes among other types of photos into a b&w album?

When I view landscape photos, I usually don't categorize them as such, therefore in my mind at least, landscape photos are just pretty pictures. To me, a photo can be as much about the light or the experience, as much as belonging to a certain category. You might be able to tell; I don't got out to try to get photos of "landscape". I just grab whatever whenever. Like when visiting a certain place, and I just see a nice scene, then I grab it. If I had a website, I doubt if I would have a section for landscape photos. That's just me.

When I view landscape photos, I usually don't categorize them as such, therefore in my mind at least, landscape photos are just pretty pictures. To me, a photo can be as much about the light or the experience, as much as belonging to a certain category. You might be able to tell; I don't got out to try to get photos of "landscape". I just grab whatever whenever. Like when visiting a certain place, and I just see a nice scene, then I grab it. If I had a website, I doubt if I would have a section for landscape photos. That's just me.

Dang it, now I'm confused lol. I know a few photographers who have a category for Places but would landscapes really constitute to be under that category? There's others who put landscapes under Nature and Wanderlust. There's so many options...I have no idea what to do.

Unfortunately, Adobe Portfolio doesn't have drop down menu support yet, they are working on that however but who knows when that will be an actual feature.

That is the only downside for Adobe Portfolio, there is limited functionality so you really gotta keep it simple.

I've been looking at other photographers site and seeing what they do and maybe that will give me some ideas for categorizing my work.

Designer's comment reminds me that in your Landscape section I had noticed that you had images that could be grouped by titles other than Landscape. You have the misty mountains, the bright and saturated scenes, and B&W, to name a few - the hard part being able to come up with a category name that fits more of the emotional feel of the images.

I think you have a great contrast going with the misty mountain scenes and the hard urban scape images. But I think that potential is buried within all the other images.

Designer's comment reminds me that in your Landscape section I had noticed that you had images that could be grouped by titles other than Landscape. You have the misty mountains, the bright and saturated scenes, and B&W, to name a few - the hard part being able to come up with a category name that fits more of the emotional feel of the images.

I think you have a great contrast going with the misty mountain scenes and the hard urban scape images. But I think that potential is buried within all the other images.

I understand what you're saying. I just don't want to have several pages that only have 3 images in. Just feels too much to me. I also don't have much room to add that many catagories.

5-6 tops.

I want to keep it simple, but I wanna do it right too.

It's not easy haha.

I understand what you're saying. I just don't want to have several pages that only have 3 images in. Just feels too much to me. I also don't have much room to add that many catagories.

5-6 tops.

It's not easy haha.

This has always been an immense challenge for me. What I feel is good one week looks terrible to me the next; I'm constantly tweaking and changing my website. For me its a little more complicated because I also shoot occasional weddings, portraits, and sports on top of my normal landscape work which makes it really difficult to group everything cleanly and efficiently.

5-6 tops.

It's not easy haha.
Without making the first category too thin, you can remove some of them to their own category. As you accumulate more, just start taking some of them off. Eventually all you have left is the absolute best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back