Need help with foliage shot

Dante

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I think I have the right area to post this request for advice but if I’ve messed it up and posted in the wrong area, apologies.

Well here it goes.

I’m super frustrated with this one. I just recently dusted off my classico Pentax ME Super and tried my hand at a few shots. This one is an example of my frustration.

This is am example of what I am going for:
375960_14.jpg

BREATH TAKING picture by Dmitrij Bodunov
I believed he used digital camera Canon EOS 350D
lens Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

And this is what I got:
00820012_TPF.jpg

YUCK.

This was shot with the auto shutter speed (I think the ME Super picked 1000)and an aperture of 1.7 if I recall correctly. Lens was a 50mm

Film was Fijicolor Superis X-TRA ISO 200 .

I find the green is way too pronounced with no detail
The colour doesn't seem realistic

So what am I doing wrong?
Is it the film?
My setting?
The fact I got Walmart to develop the film and scan it to CD?
All of the above?

Help.

I would think in his he uses a decent amount of post-processing to get that range of light. If your using film you woud have to do this in the darkroom.

Yeah I was wondering that. HRD perhaps?

I use a digital darkroom eventhough I shoot film. I get my film developed and scanned to CD.

I could shoot bracketing and create an HRD just as easy no?

I'm still learning about HRD.

The first hour after sunrise and the hour before sunset are referred to as Golden Hours. The light is more diffuse and shooting during those times will give you results closer to what you're looking for in your example. I've included a link to a Wiki entry that will give you more info.

Golden Hour Wiki Entry

Wow, that last post was VERY helpful. Thanks! I never knew that!

I'm sorry, but you're so funny.

But yeah, it's either get up early or get out late.

Who me? Haha...

I hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic. I actually didn't know that!

And I thought I knew a thing or two about photography.

Humbling.

The first shot has the advantage of water, mist, and sunrise despite the fact that the sky could be better in terms of colour and clouds and there could be more detail and exposure in the foreground. A graduated neutral density filter might have even made the "model" shot much better. The original shot also led the eye into the image using the water and the sky whereas your foliage shot had no apparent visual centre of interest.

skieur

Seeing as to how you get your film developed by a 3rd party, I don't know how practical an HDR will be for you.
HDR usually involves some trial and error that will incapacitate the process if you have to wait and have the film developed.
Especially if you've never done one.

HDR is best for digital. It's probably not impossible with film, but it's probably difficult..

That 1st image above looks almost like a digital matte painting, in fact I'm not totally convinced that it isn't.

I also think one of the biggest issues of your shot is that you shot at f/1.7 - these kinds of shots need a much tighter aperture, and subsequently a longer exposure. It is highly likely that this shot was taken with a tri-pod mounted camera, or resting on something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back