What's new

Need help with lens info...

potatowitz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Brooklyn
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone...I am extremely new to this, as I have just purchased a Canon Rebel T1i...I love it, and shot over 500 pics this weekend alone already...fun times!

Anyway, not that I am ready to purchase (as I want to learn how to shoot properly first), but I am curious about lenses...I want to be able to "zoom" in on objects obviously without getting too close...is there a difference between a ZOOM lens and a TELEPHOTO lens? My camera came with a kit lens (18-55mm)...do I put new lens in place of the kit lens, or am I adding to it? What is a 2x lens? Is this something added on as well?

Thanks for your help!

Matt
 
A problem with a 2X teleconverter is that it also converts your aperture setting 2X. That means less light coming in the lens so your shutter speed slows down and you can get blurry pictures from camera shake.
 
A zoom lens is just any lens that changes its focal length, whereas a telephoto lens is one that is longer than about 70mm or so. Zooms can be any focal length.
 
Thanks for your input people...and thanks Keith for mentioning the 2x deal...never would have thought of that...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom