Need Help with Lenses

alana555

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am in ther market for a new dslr and think that I am getting the Canon 60D. I am starting a photography course at the start of next year and am just trying to purchase the camera and some suitable lenses.

I was originally going to get one of the camera lense kits (either the 60D that comes with the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS or the 60D that comes with the Twin kit with 18-55 II and 55-250mm IS Lens) however I think I have decided that I would rather get lenses that I actually want that have better features and aperture etc

Basically I want a Prime and a zoom to get started.

I was looking at the 50mm f1.8 prime as its cheap and every where I read people say its a great lense for the price and easy to learn with. However I had someone mention to me that The only problem is that a 50mm on a the cropped sensor of the 60D makes it look more like a longer 85mm lens? and suggested the 28mm f/2.8 instead?

My aim in the "future" is to do portrait photos of kids/adults/families both indoors with lighting setup and outdoors. I am inlove with depth of field photography.

Here are some of the lenses which have been on my list:

Basically just gotta see how much im up for as to which aperture I get :)
50mm (either in the F1.4 or the F1.8)
28mm (either in the F1.8 or the F2.8)

In regards to Zoom's
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Canon 15-85 F3.5-5.6
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
Canon 28-135mm F3.5-5.6

Help Help Im so confused, If you could please tell me what you would get or some advise I would greatly appreciate it! im willing to spend up to about 600 on the zoom.

Just really want some good stuff to start of with so im not wanting to upgrade straight away

I think a 50 1.8 is a good starting point.

I am personally not a huge fan of Tamron and if I was considering an off brand lens I think Sigma has a bit better build quality and sharpness (generally speaking of course), 28-75 is a nice focal length too, great for portraits. For 600 AUD I think your best bet would be a used Sigma, maybe a 24-70 IF EX DG

That is what I will start with

60D + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non-VC) + 50mm f/1.8.

Or get a refurbished or used 60D + used Tamron 17-50mm + a used 50mm f/1.4

I have the Tamron 17-50mm lens and I usually pack my 40D, one prime lens with the Tamron 17-50mm as walk around setup.

The 50/1.8 is a great lens and a good focal length for portraits, which the 28 is not. The main drawbacks to the 50/1.8 are somewhat harsh out-of-focus blur (bokeh) and cheap construction. However, I have used mine for almost four years now and it still works fine. As someone said on here once, if I drop it I'll just buy another. The 50/1.4 is better in both respects, but a lot more expensive. The 85/1.8 is also more expensive, and may be a little long for indoor portraits larger than head shots.

Thanks so much for your very helpful responses I really appreciate it. Sorry for my late reply I have had a very hectic weekend. So after alot of researching I think I will go for the 60D, 50mm F1.4 (sounds like it maybe worth the extra cash) and the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

So does this sound like an ok starter point or do you think I would really bennifit from having a 60mm Macro or say a 70-200mm? I only ask as I have heard great things and wanted to just make sure I have a great started kit that will last me and cover most things. The main reason is because I have the cash at this time and may not further down the track so thought I would try to cover as much as I can now. As I mentioned I am a beginner and doing a course but hope to one day be able to do Portraits both indoor and outdoor of group/babies and kids. and maybe one day weddings.

Most reactions

Back