Need help with Nude photography

If you have a window, I think that would be better than lamps. House lamps aren't all that powerful and it would take a fairly long shutter speed to get your exposure...and long shutter speeds make for blurry images when either the camera or the model isn't perfectly still.

HERE is an article I found.

The problem is I live in a high rise in Downtown corner unit with floor to ceiling windows on two side so it will be hard to get light from one side. So I have to do it at night I guess.
Also for the silhouette one, what if I leave the blinds open and take the picture showing the buildings outside but myself being dark with showing only the shape of the body? Will this work or the buildings behind will take away from the subject?

Also for the silhouette one, what if I leave the blinds open and take the picture showing the buildings outside but myself being dark with showing only the shape of the body? Will this work or the buildings behind will take away from the subject?
Until you take the shot, that's for you to decide. You could always set the exposure so that the window (and anything outside) is so bright on the photo...that it is just blown out with no detail. Also, you could use a large aperture to help blur the background.

If you have big windows from two sides, can't you just close the blinds on one side?

The possibilities are endless...but it really helps if you have a sound understanding of photography and light. That's why I suggested some books.

So I did my first attempt yesterday, and the problem that I have is that my camera does not work in Auto Focus mode because of the low light. So I have to use MF and since its self shot, I ended up with out of focus shots. What should I do?

BTW, I picked up a book but doesn't say anything about this!

If you can get your focus close, set your aperture a bit smaller (higher f/stop) and more of the photo will be in focus. That is, if you can deal with your shutter speed being a bit slower...

Another method would be to set some object in the spot you will be posing in, and focus manually on that. Then move it, and take the photo.

So I did my first attempt yesterday, and the problem that I have is that my camera does not work in Auto Focus mode because of the low light. So I have to use MF and since its self shot, I ended up with out of focus shots. What should I do?
As mentioned, you can try to pre focus on something or to a certain distance...then move yourself into that position.

Of course, it might be easier if you just has someone around to fire the camera. I can't imagine that you would have a hard time finding volunteers :er:

Of course, it might be easier if you just has someone around to fire the camera. I can't imagine that you would have a hard time finding volunteers :er:

Haha.. I am sure that wouldn't be a problem;)

BTW you're Alberta photos are amazing.. I haven't been on this site for a while so I missed it. I wish I knew about the "Meet up" I would have come for sure!

Thanks.

b.t.w. There is rumor of another Meet Up next year.

It's funny I thnk more people have trouble shooting backlit subjects and not getting them in sillouhette. All you have to do really is set our camera on P and most of the time the brightest area of the subject in this case the window will be what the camea sees and uses to meter off. Also I think you should not rule out using the blinds so quickly it might be a nice effect if you do it right to have the contrast of the blinds letting in just so much light and the striped pattern. As far as focus goes probably the best way to do it is like others have said and focus on something as a stand-in for you.

Have a look for "Photographing Nudes" by Charles Hamilton. It has some great advice. It's an older book, though.

BTW, I picked up a book but doesn't say anything about this!

turn on the light, autofocus on the window you will be near, set the aperture to f/8 or so to bring you in focus b/c you are going to be a little closer than the window, switch the lens to MF mode (so it doesn't change seeking for focus in the dark) turn off the lights again, and try again.

Try focusing on an object where you will be, say a floor lamp, chair back, something. Tie a string to your tripod and stretch it to that object you focused on, cut it to the exact length. Now pose and move closer/farther until that string just reaches the focal point. Studio pros have done this for years to get lighting exposures consistent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back