Need help with purchase Nikon d3200 or rebel t5

TMillerD50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am doing research to get my wife a better camera. We currently have a Nikon D50.

She wants to keep up with the jones and wants something better. My concern is she has potential to be more that an automactic user so to speak. Right now the camera never comes off auto.

So my dilema is I want to spend about $600.

I have been looking at the D3200 with an 18-55 and 55-200mm non VR lenses.

The other is the Rebel T5 18-55mm and 75-300mm.

She wants clear crisp pics for school funtctions,cheerleading stuff and family pics. She is envious of the pics the other moms are taking and want to step up.

My techincal question is should I spend more on nikon camera with VR lens or does the rebel's internal camera body stabilzer work the same roughly. They are about the same price.

Also if I went with the nikon I found a bundle with a VR in the 18-55 but the 50-200 was non VR would that be ok for her application.

No Canon DSLR has in body stabilization. Both canon and nikon have their stabilization systems in the lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Canon DSLR has in body stabilization. Both canon and nikon have their stabilization systems in the lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

I read something to that effect in a product description on a store site somewhere.

As to my other questions any insight on a direction to go?

I just bought a d3200 with a VR lense for under $500. I shopped around and found a lot of rave reviews on the d3200 and I feel like it gives you the best bang for your buck of the entry level cameras.

You have a Nikon D50? If you get another Nikon, you can share lenses between them. If you get a Canon, you cannot. That would drive the decision, depending on how you feel about sharing. Both cameras will deliver good photos.

Both capable cameras but the D3200 is definitely better.
Better low light performance, better Dynamic range and better AF system.
Had the chance to use the D3200 few times and was very impressed with it especially considering how much it costs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back