Need Help with specific Portrit shoot!

CameronB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I'm a beginner to photography and I've really only shot landscape. But a today two girls asked me if I could shoot them down at our schools bay. It will be before sunset at around 6:00. I have no idea how to shoot portraiture and especially not two beginner models in an area that could have really bad lighting. I will have a Nikon D3000.

Did you expect to learn portraiture in a single internetz thread? I took college studio lighting and advanced lighting and am still a nooB. Would be hard to teach it in the thread. Then you get sarcastic. Are you a youngin'? Did you do any research on your own? My search found trillions of tutorials.

I like watching Dom Bower. Sunsets in simple to do mode:

Last edited by a moderator:
CameronB the biggest tip is use OFF CAMERA flash.

If you don't have that a reflector may help you.

60 views and not a single reply....thanks for the sh*t ton of help
You're the a**hole. Couldn't wait 2 hours? Put their backs to the sun and expose for the shadows, throw in some lens flare, godspeed and good luck.

Over all, people are becoming less and less patient. This can be seen everywhere lol From stuff like this post, to the whole BB pro thing.

So I'm a beginner to photography and I've really only shot landscape. But a today two girls asked me if I could shoot them down at our schools bay. It will be before sunset at around 6:00. I have no idea how to shoot portraiture and especially not two beginner models in an area that could have really bad lighting. I will have a Nikon D3000.

On a more serious note- I would tend to agree with switch, I would greatly recommend putting the sun at their backs and to expose for shadows. You don't want your models looking into the sun.

You're the a**hole. Couldn't wait 2 hours? Put their backs to the sun and expose for the shadows, throw in some lens flare, godspeed and good luck.

Diz-actly.

Also, good advice on the photographic aspect of how to handle the portrait session.

Seriously? Your expectations were clear answers to a broad/undefined question posted at 5:18 before 7:03? I suspect most of the 60 people that read your original post simply said, "I have no idea where to even start," and moved on.

What are your options for lighting (i.e. flash, reflectors, modifiers)? Do you have options for multiple off-camera strobes, or are you limited to the built-in flash on your 3100? Are you comfortable with manual exposure, or do you prefer one of the Auto modes? What are your options for post-processing? Are your "models" expecting pro level glamour/fashion shots, or are they looking for FB profile pics?

Perhaps with a little more insight into your abilities, equipment, and some deference for those of whom you seek advice, you might get a better response.

Point the camera at their head and push the button. Then repeat for next person. LOL.

Honestly portraits are not that difficult. Im sure you have seen one before. Just frame up the shot like something that you have seen and liked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back