Need help with sun pictures!

sgt_bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello

Next Friday there will be a solar eclipse in europe! I would love to take pictures of it!

But... I'm having a problem now. Today i tried to take a pic of the normal sun.
I used

iso 50,
F32
8000/s

That is the highest/lowest my cam can do (Canon Eos 5D III with 70-200 f2.8 IS II)

I have attached one of the "good" shots i got...

The image is still to bright, but how can i make it less bright?
Also, the sun isnt very sharp...i would like to have it sharp..is that possible?

What options do i have.... i'm not willing to buy a better lens...but i would be ok to buy a filter or so for this event...

Does somebody know how to get better images of the sun, and a solar eclipse?

Please help me :(

Attachments

• L08B3923.jpg
    L08B3923.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 263
hold your thumb up in front of the sun and try again.

Use a very very very dark filter.

ShotoftheSun.jpg

Buy a few pairs of solar eclipse glasses for about $3 each, take the solar filter lenses out, stick on camera lens or get a few and stick them together in a mini trace-frame and go!

Do you try the dark xray film as a filter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sgt_bear, welcome!

During totality, you're going to want to adjust the exposure higher to compensate for the occluded disk.

Another problem is you'll need to shoot in manual mode, or at least use Exposure Compensation. Otherwise, the camera 'sees' all that dark background and tries to lighten the entire image.

The sun is very very bright. So you need ALOT of filters in front of the camera lens.
I think for this picture I used:
ND 2 + ND4 + ND64 + ND1024 stacked
20140827-NKN_7892 by stevesklar, on Flickr

Also, the sun isnt very sharp...i would like to have it sharp..is that possible?
Yes, but it's not easy.
You need a filter that will reduce the suns brightness, preferably a Ha (Hydrogen alpha) filter.
You will then need a very stable camera mount and a long exposure.

Most reactions

Back