Need help!

AnnTom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi
I am an absolute beginner and new here.
I took this photo today in trying to decide how to place my lighting. There may be other things wrong, but can someone comment on my lighting.
Any other helpful comments welcome too!!

Thank you so much!
20200421_110450.jpg

you will, likely, have a better luck getting help if you provide your light set up and what you are attempting to do with it.

You are right Foques, Thank You! I will take a photo of my lights. They are small halogen lights placed opposite each other on the sides of the light tent. In this photo I also used one from the top.
I am basically trying to get a good photo of my scarf to put in my online store.

Hi
I am an absolute beginner and new here.
I took this photo today in trying to decide how to place my lighting. There may be other things wrong, but can someone comment on my lighting.
Any other helpful comments welcome too!!
Hi!

Articles of clothing present kind of a compound problem. On the one hand, you want the light to reveal the curves, folds, and texture, but on the other hand, you want to light most of the item to show the size, style, and color.

Quandry.

Your post shot is good for side light, but then there is that dark place right in the center. I would say avoid flight lighting, (even light straight on) because flat light almost never shows your subject in a flattering way.

For this scarf, I would say try two lights on the same side, with one high, and one a bit lower. If you have a third light, use it for fill on the off side. Alternatively, you could use a reflector on the off side to bring that up just a little.

Keep us posted!

Designer, Thank you so much ! I will try what you suggested. Also, forgive my ignorance but what does "flight lighting" mean?

Designer, Thank you so much ! I will try what you suggested. Also, forgive my ignorance but what does "flight lighting" mean?
Flat lighting is light that is even and aimed "straight on" to the subject. It practically eliminates most if not all of the contours and texture of your subject. It is a very flattering light for "ladies of a certain age" because any skin wrinkles will practically disappear. You can experiment with that by placing your light quite near your lens. Yes, it illuminates the deep folds, but the folds don't show up well.

Hi,
If I may ask, are you trying to simulate a product catalog type of image? If you are, you generally use a flat lighting on these kind of image. A softbox perhaps or a light tent for smaller products. I know I'm leaving it kind a vague but not knowing your intended purpose for the image...

Getting good images with this set-up is going to be challenging. In my experience, this sort of image is best presented in a 'high key' look, that is, bright, white and even ('though not flat as Designer describes above). You should really be using strobes, and ideally four of them. Two for the background and two for the product. Use them to cross-light, that is, set them up such that the light on the RH side illuminates the LH side and vice-versa. You will also need diffusers; umbrellas, soft-boxes, large sheets of mylar or translucent plastic; something to diffuse the light and give you a larger light source.

You are not "that" far off. I do not like the dark, shadowy area in the center.But otherwise, your attempt is at least "decent".

Think too about how you fold the fabric; where it folds in toward the mannequin it creates shadows. This isn't bad, see if you can arrange the scarf differently and adjust the lights as suggested and see what you get.

I agree with Derrel you're very close to achieving a good shot of the item.
To me what is important is showing the item, it's not a photography critique but a critique of how well the item is pictured. Other than the very dark area in bottom middle, the blouse is well pictured.

Most reactions

Back