What's new

Need Honest Feedback

Audell

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas City
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just starting out and all I have is a 10 megapixel digital camera I bought a year ago. I decided to take a couple of photos and edit them myself just to see where and how I need to improve other than just buying a new camera. All feedback is welcome, negative or positve. I just need someone to be honest with me and not tell me that it's a good picture.

MommyandAudreyedit.jpg



IMG_5130-1.jpg
 
Hello Audell, welcome to the forum

What is the goal you set out to acheive with this photo?

A large portion of the photo is blurred - I am guessing you planned that - yet it takes away from the subject, which I am also guessing is your daughter.
 
Welcome. The second photo is overexposed and the background is not very good ( maybe need more blur? ) I like the idea behind the first one but the blur in both pictures is very bad. Very sloppy post processing. Perhaps the software you are using is very limited and this is all you are capable of due to that. But it still doesn't make it good. I assume you are using a point and shoot camera? The megapixels aren't going to be too relevant to this size of a photo ( unless you have a digital camera from 15 years ago ), tell us more about what TYPE of camera, brand, model etc.

Post the originals if you want people to help you with an edit.
 
I like the concept of the photos, but there a lot of heavy blurs and that is the recommendation that I would change. He that helps
 
Hello Audell, welcome to the forum

What is the goal you set out to acheive with this photo?

A large portion of the photo is blurred - I am guessing you planned that - yet it takes away from the subject, which I am also guessing is your daughter.
The goal was just to practice different poses and see if I have a good eye for photo taking. Yes both girls in the photos are my daughters. I did plan the blur b/c I thought it would put your focus on the kids but still show what was in the background.
 
not a huge fan of the editing. Nice shots though, but the editing kills it.
 
Welcome. The second photo is overexposed and the background is not very good ( maybe need more blur? ) I like the idea behind the first one but the blur in both pictures is very bad. Very sloppy post processing. Perhaps the software you are using is very limited and this is all you are capable of due to that. But it still doesn't make it good. I assume you are using a point and shoot camera? The megapixels aren't going to be too relevant to this size of a photo ( unless you have a digital camera from 15 years ago ), tell us more about what TYPE of camera, brand, model etc.

Post the originals if you want people to help you with an edit.
As far as editing goes, I just upload my photos to picnik.com and edit them there. The camera I am using is a GE E1030 35-105mm 10mp.

Here are the originals.

GEDC2908.jpg



IMG_5130-2.jpg
 
Personally, I really like the first one.

I like what you did with the second as far as the crop goes... Maybe not as mush space over her head... But I really find it overexposed... to the point where it almost hurts my eyes. Maybe a little less blur would still give you the effect you were after.
 
Personally, I really like the first one.

I like what you did with the second as far as the crop goes... Maybe not as mush space over her head... But I really find it overexposed... to the point where it almost hurts my eyes. Maybe a little less blur would still give you the effect you were after.
Thanks.

So what do I do as far as overexposure goes if I'm outside on a sunny day. I can fix the blur and the amount of cropping.
 
Personally, I really like the first one.

I like what you did with the second as far as the crop goes... Maybe not as mush space over her head... But I really find it overexposed... to the point where it almost hurts my eyes. Maybe a little less blur would still give you the effect you were after.
Thanks.

So what do I do as far as overexposure goes if I'm outside on a sunny day. I can fix the blur and the amount of cropping.

Does your camera allow exposure compensation? If so, you could deliberately under-expose a little to counteract the effect of the sun....

If your camera won't do that... Maybe try again on a "less bright" day or at a different time of day when the sun will co-operate a bit more. Or with an overcast sky...

I am NOT an expert by any means. So I'll leave it at that. Someone else may have better advice. :)

Good luck and keep shooting.
 
Last edited:
Personally, I really like the first one.

I like what you did with the second as far as the crop goes... Maybe not as mush space over her head... But I really find it overexposed... to the point where it almost hurts my eyes. Maybe a little less blur would still give you the effect you were after.
Thanks.

So what do I do as far as overexposure goes if I'm outside on a sunny day. I can fix the blur and the amount of cropping.

Does your camera allow exposure compensation? If so, you could deliberately under-expose a little to counteract the effect of the sun....

If your camera won't do that... Maybe try again on a "less bright" day or at a different time of day when the sun will co-operate a bit more. Or with an overcast sky...

I am NOT an expert by any means. So I'll leave it at that. Someone else may have better advice. :)

Good luck and keep shooting.
A less bright day in Las Vegas? haha thanks for the advice and feedback.
 
I really do not like the first one so blurry because until I scrolled down I was thinking it was a girl with an exotic pose, then I saw the baby....
 
I just LOVE pictures that tell stories....especially emotional ones like your first pic. I can imagine her as a new mother who is overwhelmed. It is moving. I think the babys whole body needs to be in focus then the rest blurred. Great job....I would just re-edit the pic. I. Like the lighting on the first one. The second would have been much more effective if u were down at the childs eye level at a different angle so u could still see her going down a long sidewalk but the pic would b from the childs perspective. Then it would then also make a good black and white pic
 
I like some of the PP in #1. The grain, desaturation, crop are all good, but the way you blurred it is no good. I don't understand why you chose to blur from right to left. Much better to just blur the background to simulate a narrow depth of field. Maybe also a tighter crop on the left side to get rid of that sliver of white background.

Image has potential, though. Somber. Makes me think of single moms who struggle to make ends meet.

So what do I do as far as overexposure goes if I'm outside on a sunny day. I can fix the blur and the amount of cropping.
Neutral Density filter.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom