Need landscape help

mortallis288

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to Colorado and i tried my hand at land scapes. But to me they look like snap shots, can you guys please critique these for me?

BWmountain.jpg

Blackcanyon6.jpg

RiverBW.jpg

1: In terms of dynamic range the scene is beyond what your camera's sensor can manage. The fore ground is underexposed, the sky overexposed and blown out. Only the mountain appears about right, but quite hazy. Also, the mountain is quite centred (as is the horizon), which on this image is a bit boring.

I would try to either concentrate on the moutain and the sky (trying to get exposure ok-ish for both and give them more space -> less foreground trees) ... or concentrate on the foreground and the mountain (less sky in the image).

Also a more dramatic view would be getting closer and using a wider angle lens.

you could try to increase dynamic range by combining several exposures in photoshop.

2: again, is this one about the sky or about the rocks? if it is about both, maybe a vertical composition would be interesting. with the sky taking the upper third or even less.
getting closer or a longer lens might also help.

3: a lot of empty-ish space in the top half with no pronounced structure. The river in the lower half seems "cut" at the bottom. This image could maybe be saved with a square crop of the bottom part.

thanks! I dunno why you are seeing red x's but Alex thanks for your honest and very helpful critique

cannot see the images anymore either!

strange.

So i was lucky i gave a quick answer ;)

what about now? i think that should be fixed, i moved pictures into another album on photobucket and forgot to change the links

ok, can see them again :)

now try the square crop on image 3 ;)

This was also my first time at shooting in raw and doing all the edits on photoshop with little photoshop experience but here is that crop i think you are talking about alex.

Squarecrop.jpg

sort of .. i was talking of a real square, which to me would be more pleasing for this shot, and more balanced in terms of composition.

but then again I am quite biased towards square crops I have to admit ;)

In pic 3, let the color hang out The Aspen adds a nice touch since they aren't all over the place. Colorado's landscape is always breathtaking. Huge rocky outcroppings and awesome sunsets with the setting sun bouncing off those rocks. Throw in some clouds and you'll have awesome shots. The Aspens look like white birch trees ;)

Here is a shot of some Aspens.

P1010095a499.jpg

When shooting landscapes, you need to think about the direction of the light and how it's falling on your 'subject'. The first shot, for example, might look better if it was shot at a time of day when the sun is behind your position...hitting the front of the mountain and lighting up the forest. Although, if you want a dark feeling photo, then you are doing OK.

Same thing for the 2nd one. Those cliffs would probably look great with low angle sunlight...which would mean very early morning or late evening. Not only does the angle of the light add to the photo, but the color of the light is warmer at dawn & dusk.

The third one has some great potential with that winding stream/river...but, to me, it's too dark and/or has too much contrast. The trees are just too dark.

As for what makes a good landscape...that's pretty subjective. Personally, I think a good landscape draws the viewer into the image...as if they feel they could walk into the scene. It helps to have something to lead them into and though the image. It also helps to have a strong focal point...something that catches and holds the viewer's attention. I think your 2nd photos has this with the clouds but the 3rd one seems to be missing a strong attention grabbing subject.

thanks! this was my first attempt at shooting landscapes, maybe with practice ill get better. Here are a few more with a color one of the river.

BlackCanyon1.jpg

Blackcanyon7.jpg

RiverColor.jpg

Pretty nice start, and some really good advice, The only thing I can think of is in the first two shots, try to stay away from dividing the scene in half with the horizon.

Do you use any filters at all? A circular polarizer might help for the sky in some of your images.

I really like the colours in #6

Most reactions

New Topics

Back