Need New Lens (Beginning)

PharmerGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I have an xti rebel EOS Canon along with a 50mm lens. I don't use the one that came with it from advise of friends. What additional lenses should I own? Also, I was looking for a Wide Angle as my next purchase. Would you agree? Any direction would be greatly apprecaited!!!

It all depends on what/how you like to shoot! When you shoot with the 50mm do you ever find yourself thinking "I need to get wider here" or "I need to get closer here" or "I need a wider aperture here" If so, let that be your guide.

I was in Europe and when I shot scenery I wish it were wider. And when I shot portrait, I wish I was further away. I felt the 50mm zoomed TOO much. Is that possible?

A big piece of this will be your budget. In general, I would recommend a fast wide-angle zoom (in the 17-50mm f/2.8 range) as a basic walk-around lens. It will allow you to zoom out to get the wider angle view, but also makes a nice portrait on your crop-sensor body. It also does reasonably well in low-light situations. I use a Tamron, but Sigma makes them too or you can spend more and buy some "L" glass from Canon.

On your camera, which I believe has the "1.5 crop" sensor size, 50mm could definitely be too long for shooting scenery. For portraits, it should be a pretty good size, but ultimately that's up to your own idea of what your portraits should look like.

Most reactions

Back