Need Photoshop Help

d70girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it if need be.

I just acquired Photoshop 7.0, and I'm having trouble with it. :oops:

First of all, is it just me or is Photoshop really difficult to learn how to use? People keep telling me to "bend my curves". What the hell does that mean?!? Any tips or pointers?

Secondly, I can't get it to upload/import my RAW/NEF images. It says that it accepts RAW format, but all of my pictures have a .NEF extension because that's what Nikon calls them, I guess. How do I get Photoshop to recognize and import these from my CF card? As it is, I'm uploading them as RAW in Picasa, exporting them as JPEG and then (attempting to) edit them in Photoshop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

I've just moved your thread to the 'Examples, How-To's and Graphics Program Tutorials' section, where you are likely to get more direct hits.

photoshop isnt easy to use when you first start out........ but you will get the hang of it....... and then it gets easier, the more you know......

The best way for you to learn curves would be to do a google search for 'curves adjustments in photoshop'...... you will find alot of tutorials for this type of thing...... so google what you need and you should find the information on the web.

Your camera's NEF files may not be compatable with ps7........ what camera do you use?

sorry i'v just seen your username..... so im guessing a D70 right!........ in which case you could try looking on the adobe site for the correct plugin to open D70 files using ps7........... but im not so sure that you will find one for a version of ps which is outdated.......... if this is the case download something like raw shooter essentials......... edit your raw files in this software........ then export them as .TIFF files to photoshop ;)

I guess by your name you are using a D70? You will need photoshop CS (photoshop 8 ) or later to be able to use Abode Camera Raw (v 2.2 or later) to read D70 RAW files. There are other, free, programs available to read your RAW files. Raw Shooter Essentials, for example.

Curves is a good way of altering your images tonal values. Here is a good intro to curves. google for more ...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/command_primer.shtml

Good luck :)

EDIT: AA beat me to it, Damn you AA ;) ;)

If you can't afford the full latest version of Photoshop but you would like to stick with something almost as good from the same stable, get yourself a copy of Photoshop Elements 4.0 -- it doesn't have a 'curves' tool (so just forget about them - lol!), but it is compatible with the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw v3.4 which recognises your D70 raw files as well as those from many other new and recent cameras. In fact, the version of ACR which comes with Elements 4.0 won't need updating in your case (for a D70), and in any case the ACR plugin is free.

I've just switched to Elements 4.0 after using PS7 for 3 years and I'm impressed. It has everything a digital photographer needs without all the really complicated features which most of us will never need. Get it and you won't regret it. Compared to PS7 it's a revelation.

Phillip

Most reactions

New Topics

Back