Jose Saenz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.moremojo.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I have a question that I'm really hoping someone here can answer for me regarding Pocket Wizards.

I have a Canon 430 ex and I'm awaiting the arrival of a Canon 580 ex II. I also have 2 Pocket Wizards...one to place on my camera's hot shoe and the other will go on my 580. Do I need to buy a third Pocket Wizard or does the 580 communicate with the 430 without the need of a PW?

Can somebody help me out with this silly question?

Thanks,

Jose S.

i think you will need to pick up another PW. i think the infrared only works when on the camera in master mode. i could be wrong, but if you are using the PWs anyway you would be better off with another radio trigger. they are so much more reliable and convenient than line-of-sight IR.

I can't confirm, by I think that you can use a PW to trigger a 580 in master mode, which consequently can trigger a 430/580 in slave mode. However, as mentioned, the built-in wireless system isn't nearly as reliable as a PW radio connection.

And just to clarify, the 580 doesn't use infrared for communication between flashes. It uses pulses of light from the flash head. The ST-E2 (non-flash master) does use IR though.

So yes, getting a third PW is probably the most common and most reliable way to go.

no you need a third pocket wizard. I'm almost positive.

Hi all,

I have a question that I'm really hoping someone here can answer for me regarding Pocket Wizards.

I have a Canon 430 ex and I'm awaiting the arrival of a Canon 580 ex II. I also have 2 Pocket Wizards...one to place on my camera's hot shoe and the other will go on my 580. Do I need to buy a third Pocket Wizard or does the 580 communicate with the 430 without the need of a PW?

Can somebody help me out with this silly question?

Thanks,

Jose S.

You must purchase one PW for the camera, and one PW per flash.

BTW, stay AWAY from the new Pocket Wizard Mini and FlexTTL... total garbage at this point. If you want proof... go to the Pocket Wizard forum sponsored BY the PW people themselves and you can spend hours reading all the complaints about how no one can make them work and how you have to bend over backwards to get some minor level of performance. This is a combination of PW and Canon's fault. Canon has *the* noisiest flashes on the market (RF noise leakage).

Buy the PW II's and live happy. :)

Hi all,

You must purchase one PW for the camera, and one PW per flash.

BTW, stay AWAY from the new Pocket Wizard Mini and FlexTTL... total garbage at this point. If you want proof... go to the Pocket Wizard forum sponsored BY the PW people themselves and you can spend hours reading all the complaints about how no one can make them work and how you have to bend over backwards to get some minor level of performance. This is a combination of PW and Canon's fault. Canon has *the* noisiest flashes on the market (RF noise leakage).

Buy the PW II's and live happy. :)

Yeaaaaa, so i just bought the mini and flexttl. So far I found out that placing the flash in front of a lcd tv with a glass wall between camera and flash, the pw didnt work like 80% of the time. They appear to work with and around walls within a 30' distance. And thats with installing the updates available from the pw site. I kinda wish i just got the older version ones.

David Hobby also raved about the new Pocket Wizards, so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

With this new trend of releasing products well before they are stable, you chose the best available trigger on the market, trust me. PW II's are a proven product that are darn near 100% reliable over incredible distances, and have been for many years.

I picked up 3 PW IIs in February when they were on sale (I should have made it an even 4)... they have not been the industry standard amongst pro photographers for so many years without good reason. It's just too bad that the new ones are crap (for the time being).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back