Need portriat lens guidance for Nikon D300

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to photography, although not a complete newbie. I'm not sure I understand how all the lenses work, and how they relate to each other, however.

I have a 16-85mm 3.5-5.6 and a 70-300mm lens already. I'm looking for a nice Nikkor lens suitable for portraits, although something that can also be used for macro photography would be nice. Does such a lens exist?

It looks like the 55mm lens is what I'm looking for, but my 16-85mm encompasses that range already. Would it make sense to have a separate 55mm in that case? Of course I'd like to be able to create that bokeh depth-of-field effect.

I've been considering the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G lens for this purpose. I understand depth-of-field is a characteristic of aperture, but how does the 2.8 relate to being suitable for macro photography?

Thanks,
Dave

Welcome to the site. The most common portrait lenses are (in no order) 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/?, and the 135mm f/?.

Hi Ron, thanks for your help.

Can you explain the difference between the 24-70mm f2.8 and the 85mm f1.8 and why I would choose one over the other?

The 85mm means you must be a fixed distance from the subject, correct? Why is it beneficial to have such a fast aperture with this lens? How does letting in such a little amount of light beneficial to a portrait lens?

Thanks,
Dave

The 24-70mm is a zoom lens where the 85 is a prime lens. With the 85mm you have to zoom with your feet, where the 24-70, you can use the lens.

Both of those are considered fast glass. Fast glass will help let in more light which is helpful in low light situations. You have them reversed, the smaller the number of the aperture, the more light that is allowed in.

One other benefit of fast glass is that typically, they give you good bokeh (out of focus background).

Hope this helps.

One lens that I liked for portrait work with my D300 was the Nikkor 60mm F2.8D Micro. You can usually find one on the Craig's List or similar 'site of any large city for around $300.

One lens that I liked for portrait work with my D300 was the Nikkor 60mm F2.8D Micro. You can usually find one on the Craig's List or similar 'site of any large city for around $300.

That sounds good. I've seen a few good lenses on craigslist that I'm eyeing. Not that one exactly right now, though.

That appears to be a full-frame lens? That will still work on my D300?

What is the difference between the D and G versions? The G version also appears to be more updated?

How far away from the subject would I have to be for a regular portrait picture, such as some people sitting in a chair against the wall?

Is there a document (or youtube video, perhaps) that explains how all the lens characteristics work together, so that I may be more educated in my buying decision? I realize I could find a video on aperture and one on macro photography, but I'd like to understand how the focal length and aperture work together and _why_ it makes a good portrait lens?

Thanks,
Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back