What's new

need recomendations for a equipment storage

coggonobrien

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
Coggon, IA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello good people. looking for recommendations for the best way to transport my multiple camers, lenses, batteries, etc for use at weddings etc. i've currently got a back style that sucks. so I need something to safely transport my hardware. thanks, David
 
Can you give us a few more details?

Are you just transporting from location A to location B, then unloading.....or, like most wedding photographers, are you constantly on the go and need your gear to be easily accessible but well protected etc?

Most wedding photographers that I know, use some sort of camera bag. Quite often it's a backpack style bag, simply because they can get really heavy and it's just easier to carry that way. There are also plenty of good camera bags that have handles and wheels, so they are easy to pull around.

I have been wanting a large shoulder style bag, because while I do have & use a backpack style bag, I don't like the way you have to lay down the backpack in order to access the gear. The straps have to go on the bottom, which can be a problem if you are outdoors in a wet/mess location. A shoulder back, on the other hand, has a bottom that is always the bottom. You could set it down in the mud (if you absolutely had to) and it wouldn't really hamper you very much.
But, a shoulder bag is more annoying to carry around, especially when it's heavy and you are carrying it all day.

If it's more a matter of just transporting the gear, then any sort of 'road case' might be good. It could be as simple as a wood box with wheels. Having been involved in the music/concert industry for a while, I've seen thousands of 'road cases', which would be perfect for safely getting your gear from one place to another...but terrible to drag around from place to place all day.

The biggest factor will be your personal preference and budget. I haven't figured out a great system yet, but I can't afford to buy a couple of $300 camera bags.
What I pack for a typical wedding is; main camera bag is a Lowepro backpack camera bag, secondary bag is a medium sized rectangular box type shoulder bag (configured to hold one camera with flash bracket and flash, all assembled). I might have a smaller camera bag for extra stuff, but it might stay in the car. I also have a tripod in a padded tripod bag, I have a couple light stands and an umbrella in a long nylon bag (from a folding lawn chair). I usually bring some studio lighting with me as well. Sometimes I pack it into a large suit case (with handle & wheels), but sometimes I pack it into a square padded bag that was made to hold my small (old) tv.
So depending on the location and my needs at the time, I can grab some or all of my gear.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom