Need some advice for upcoming Engagement Shoot...

Raian-san

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A person I know is getting married and asked if I could help film their Engagement ceremony for them since all the people they asked around are too expensive. I am getting paid for the filming, but since they are on a really tight budget and can't afford anybody to do their engagement photo session, I thought I help and do it as a wedding gift. Before people say don't accept money if you're not sure, I'm not getting paid for it the photoshoot.

Recently, my friend found a Sigma EF-530 DG ST flash that she doesn't use so I've been playing around with it. I'm new to the flash scene so I'm learning. I do have different reflector and will have someone to help me while I shoot. I have about $400 budget and I wanted to know if I should get the Tamron 17-50mm lens, Canon flash, or Canon 50mm 1.4, or what should I get?

Also, any advice and tips to have a pretty good engagement shoot? Or more websites that give tips. I am searching around the web looking for help as well. His girl wanted to shoot shots are the beach since she saw her friend engagement photo and liked it. I also will shoot around a small town that has nice old dark wood houses and country road, trees and etc. Thanks guys.

No advice? I'm starting to research for places that to rent some lenses. I'm thinking of borrowing the 70-200mm f/4L IS, the 70-200mm 2.8, or the 24-105mm F/4L IS. The 70-200mm 2.8L II is a bit too expensive. Which one do you guys think I should go with?

It would be proper to rent the 24-105 and the 70-200 2.8, and also get your hands on a flash. That would cover all the focal lengths you actually need imo.

If you're just doing it as a favor for a friend, why go so far into debt doing so? Depending on the lighting conditions where you shoot, you may or may not need the Sigma flash or any of the lenses you've listed.

Now if you're just looking for an excuse to spend, go for the 70-200mm 2.8L II (since you're a Canon shooter). I hear that lens is magnificent! But really, you can do an engagement session with just the 50 f/1.8. Jasmine Star uses her 50mm quite a bit during an engagement session. And very little if any flash either.

Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely don't want to rent a lot of gears since it's a free shoot. I just want to have a really good lens for the shoot. I've been shooting with the 50mm and it's giving me decent photos but I know that better technique and lens will give me better results. The 70-200mm 2.8L II is way out of my price range. Overall, I have around $1500 for my budget since I can give up my Macbook Pro and buy some gears. My main focus is video though so I definitely want to invest in lighting and a Mic for video. But I want a good lens that can serve me justice. the 24-105mm sounds good to me because I don't have a wide enough lens since I only have the 50mm. It just sucks to not have enough money to get all the gears but I just want to find out my best solution. The 24-105mm, if I can find used is around $800? Mic is $300, maybe a Canon flash?

Last edited:

Also, any advice and tips to have a pretty good engagement shoot? Or more websites that give tips. I am searching around the web looking for help as well. His girl wanted to shoot shots are the beach since she saw her friend engagement photo and liked it. I also will shoot around a small town that has nice old dark wood houses and country road, trees and etc. Thanks guys.

If you search the web using the search string "engagement photo tips" you will find a lot of thoughts and ideas about things to do and try. I would also discuss with the couple, their ideas (you already have one) and thoughts about the images they might like to see. The only thoughts that I would offer are...make them feel as relaxed and as comfortable as possible, make sure that a number of the images convey the feeling of intimacy that exists between the couple - holding hands, looking into each others eyes and smiling, etc., and don't try and get a shot at a whole bunch of locations, taking your time and focusing on the right expressions, ideal backgrounds, and perfect settings in a few locations creates a better product and a more enjoyable overall experience than cramming in multiple locations in a few hours. You are better off with an end product of say, 15 to 20 images that look different, than 30 or 40 that all look very similar...I know that you will probably take a few hundred or more images, but when you boil it all down in the end, variety provides the better product. My 0.02¢.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks for the tip Western. For me, when it comes to filming and capturing the moment it's a lot easier for me. I have tons of ideas for it. Photo in one hand is one single photo and you can't just say cut, well you could but I'm not as confident as it is in film because that's my forte. I don't know, film for me I envision the scene and story that I thought up in my head and wrote on the storyboard and I can follow it. Photography I know when it's a bad, decent or good photo. I just can't draw the whole scene or movie out with just photos. Maybe because I'm a bit new to it that I can't just direct photography have it all envision in my head. I think I should shoot the film first and then look at it to help me with creativity of the photoshoot. I just wanted to make the photo are really good. I'm in no way a good photographer but I think my photo are decent but for sure I can improve in it. I feel there's something missing in my photo to make it professional. I've been on here since August but seriously I truly shoot for 2 months since my camera has been on the shelf for quite awhile. And I'm totally new to flash photography. I'm still learning though, and I just want to find what it is that's making my photo not professional. So I'm just trying around maybe lens, composition, lighting and flash. or etc.

I'd suggest you work up a script, identify the key shots, and review it with your friends. If all of you are on the same page, then the shoot can proceed with a minimum of disruption to the activities because both you and the couple know at what points to take time out to take the photos. This can also help if you know where the event will take place and can scout it out with the idea of working out the exposures you will need and the positions you will take to minimize background clutter, etc. From this scouting expedition, you can determine if you need additional equipment and if so, what it needs to be.

Hey pgriz, thanks for the tips. I will be meeting them to discuss the plans and ideas for the shoot. I actually have two engagement to do, one in July and one in August. For the their engagement film/documentary, I have come up with ideas and concept since I asked them a background of how they met, what they like to do, and things about them so I can prepare for the video. I'm thinking of doing using a bit of the theme for the video to be in the photoshoot. I think I will have two, maybe three location. Shots at the beach and shots in field and some around dark wooden houses because the couple like that theme.

I will definitely try to capture the intimate moments and make it look natural. I've seen shots of couples being unnatural and it's definitely not something I want to do. I will try to keep in mind of the background clutter so the main focus will just be them. Thanks for advices so far guys.

Minimize the surprises. Script in the "spontaneous" moments. Do several dry runs in those locations (with appropriate stand-ins for the actual couples) until you KNOW what exposures to use to get good results. Mr. Murphy will show up uninvited, but if you're prepared, he'll have little to work with. Perhaps, even do the whole shoot (with your standins) and figure out where things went well and where you need more attention. The less you have to think and improvise during the actual shoot, the lower your stress level will be and the better are your chances of getting everything right. A wedding photographer I know (who charges a minimum of about $8,000 per wedding), goes through the entire process twice - once in practice mode with the clients (on location if at all possible), and once in actual fact. She gets amazing shots and a high rate of keepers, even without using a second shooter. You can see her work here: Professional Montreal Photographer Hera Bell's Photography Wedding Commercial Industrial Portrait Glamour Editorial Food Architecture Travel Montreal Digital Photo Studio. She has been very generous with her time and has made a point of mentoring many aspiring photographers. Her methods work.

Very good advice from pgriz there.

Your mood and demeanor as the photographer will declare the mood and demeanor of your subjects. You're the director so by taking the lead and setting the environment for them will be an advantage for you as you mentioned you already had experience with it in videography. The difference with photography with video IMHO is that photography is actually more specific in the final results however much easier to capture. Pose a client one way and if you like it you can get a whole body shot, a panoramic shot, an OCF shot, a natural light shot, a hand shot, a kiss shot, a head shot, a shoe shot, a ring shot, a shot from above, a shot from below etc - you can get all these different shots with just one pose. If you like that a pose or a result, take it from all vantage points and make it rich. It'll give you more options and open your eyes to what angles look good with your clients. The more shots you take the more they get comfortable with you - and then that's when the fun starts ;)

Good luck and I'm sure you guys are going to have a blast :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back