need some advice!

dafnilg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
alright. i know close to nothing about cameras, lenses, filters, editing software.... etc. i love taking pictures. i have a camera in my hand 90% of my awake time, but it's not a good one. i'm tired of taking beautiful shots, but missing the actual moment because my camera doesn't take fast enough, or it's slightly blurry, or the lighting is terrible. what is a good camera to buy??! i take alot of engagement pictures and just fun portraits for my close friends. i love just using natural light. i have photoshop, but am pretty clueless about using it. i need to know what i need to take a beautiful, clear raw picture(or several pictures within seconds... is that something to do with the shutter??), and what software to use to edit!!

i feel stupid asking all this, cause i'm sure these are the most basic things ever. but i would appreciate the advice!

:) thanks in advance for your help :)

Don't feel stupid! #1 rule.

You have an interest in photography and thats what everyone else had when they started...:thumbup:

Sounds like you would like to look at a DSLR camera. And I would suggest a Canon Xti since the prices are pretty good right now and if you like to take a ton of snap shots, you can experiment with the manual settings and have full range of creativity... even those high speed shutter pics for those fast moving friends...

Hope that helps...

thanks for the advice and that link. very helpful :)
i'm looking at a nikon D80, but it doesn't come with a lens. any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!

I have a D80 and I'm quite happy with it - very versatile entry level dSLR camera. I got the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens - a bit pricey (~USD350) compared to the kit lens, but a very good lens which you'll wan't to keep for a while (read the lens test at www.photozone.de and compare to other lenses in the same class). A lot of people also seemt to use the Nikon 18-200mm. I'm not a big fan of the lens (because of the comparatively bad image quality), but it's second to none in versatility (for a price though ~USD650). If you like portraits and candids, then a prime (a no zoom lens, or fixed focal lenght lens) might also be good for you - I'd suggest the Nikon 50mm f1.8 or Nikon 50mm f1.4, depending on your budget. And the most important thing, I'd suggest reading a good photography introduction book (i.E. "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson) after you get any of these.
Also, you should check if you can find a used D200, since they are more or less the same price as the D80 now. As I said, I'm quite happy with my D80, but if you can get more for the same money, why not?

i need to know what i need to take a beautiful, clear raw picture

Well, not to be rude, but for one thing it sounds like you need a better understanding of photography more than a camera. The camera isn't going to make you a better photographer. Yes, you can get better images out of better cameras but you have to know how to do it.

I would recommend doing a lot of reading and learn your camera, whichever camera that may be if you get a DSLR or P&S.

Hello and welcome to the forum...
Well to learn about photography, I usually hang out on this forum and read different threats to absorve information, books and youtube videos and web search...
Practice, Practice, Practice...
About the photoshop I just bought a book: "Adobe Photoshop classroom in a book" it is a very organized book. It begins with basic concept of photoshops, the book is organized in form of lessons and projects that you are building up. Great book if you are new at photoshop. Just make sure to find out what photoshop version you have CS, CS3 or other...

Good Luck!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back