Need some critique!

thelightwithin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I want to get some constructive criticism on my most recent work. I'm actually a filmmaker, but photography has been one of my most beloved hobbies over the last couple of years, I have rarely shown these before as I don't consider myself a 'good' photographer but these are the shots that I like the most, I would really like some opinions and advice as to how I could improve my work, what is it that I'm missing (besides a better camera), I am really passionate about this and I want to learn from my mistakes, if you could please turn me to the right path, I would deeply appreciate it!

$p4.jpg
Camera: Canon PowerShot A630
Focal Lenght: 7.3
F number: 4
Exposure time: 1/80
I used the porch lamp as light source.

$p3.jpg
F number: 2.8
Exposure time: 1/60

$p2.jpg
F number: 3.5

$p1.jpg
F number: 4

Thank you for your time!

May just be the computer I'm on but the first one looks like it needs a little more light, just enough to differentiate the background and subject more. I like the Second, ash tray, picture the most. Good eye on the shooting angle in the third picture. In the fourth picture I like the textures and the bridge in the distance is a nice touch. I say good job. I like them all

Nice pics

#1 might can be improved if you drop the shadows a point or too and raise the highlights a few points

edit: also # 1 has some distraction going on at the edge of the photo

What 2WheelPhoto said about #1. I like the dim/dark feeling.

I get a sense that you like mysterious elements poking into the frame, which isn't a bad thing per se but in #1 they just look like accidents. Make them more obvious, or get rid of 'em.

#2 isn't bad, but it feels like a bit of a cliche. I'm somewhat mixed on it.

The last 2 are pretty good. Anything that gets a little bit of a new look at that bridge is a triumph. I like the last one a little more than the third one, but they're both good ideas. Not, I think, great, it's not clear to me that it's possible to overcome the sheer photographic weight of history that bloody bridge has, but you've made some good tries at it.

Thank you for you comments! about the first picture I agree I had a hard time getting it close to what I had in mind, unfortunately my camera is quite limited in low light situations and that's as far as I could go without the image becoming to grainy, But I'll try tweaking it a little as suggested. amolitor are those elements you talk about the very dim lights in the background? and thanks! on the last two, I experimented with tons of angles, I really wanted to get something rather unusual, a different view of that bridge, I tried hard. Thank you so much! I'll keep practicing!

Last edited:
The 3rd one is the only one that stands out as a real photo that not anyone with a camera could just take. Saying that I wish you had taken it from a few inches back so you could see more of the fence for framing.

Most reactions

Back