Need some guidence on gear purchase

MrPhotoMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon D3000. I am looking to get a speedflash (sb-600) for basic photos both indoor and out. Id also like to get a remote trigger and a tripod and umbrella so that I can take some nice portraits of my kids. I am questioning what and where to buy these items for a good price. Does anyone have any suggestions for these purchases?
Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you located? That might help us suggest where to best purchase photo gear. I usually suggest that people look around locally first.

If you are going to order via the internet, I'd suggest shopping at B&H or Adorama. Probably two of the largest photography stores in North America, if not the whole world.

For (cheaper) remote flash triggers, check these out. Wireless Trigger - Gadget Infinity (check out the V4 or V5)

Tripods can cost as little as $20 and run as high as a couple thousand dollars. You'll have to let us in on a few more details and a budget, before we can give a good recommendation.
If you're looking for something to mount your flash & umbrella on, what you want is a light stand, not a tripod.
Umbrellas have a wide price range as well.

Check out this site, specifically their 'strobist' kits. Strobist® Starving 1 Light Kit MPEX

I have a Nikon D3000. I am looking to get a speedflash (sb-600) for basic photos both indoor and out. Id also like to get a remote trigger and a tripod and umbrella so that I can take some nice portraits of my kids. I am questioning what and where to buy these items for a good price. Does anyone have any suggestions for these purchases?
Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
You need a light stand (not a tripod), umbrella bracket with a speedlight cold shoe, and an umbrella.
Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

One light is the most basic lighting set up, and is a good place to start, but multiple lights are used for top quality portraiture.

Inexpensive wireless remote radio triggers:StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

Note: Inexpensive remote triggers preclude using automatic flash modes (iTTL). iTTL can be inconsistant and is a bit difficult to learn anyway. Foregoing iTTL and using manual mode to get more consistant results and flatten the learning curve, you can also buy less expensive lights: Neewer Speedlite YN560 Flash for Pentax Olympus, Samsung Cameras

The top of the line radio set up that can do iTTL is $169.00 per unit and you need at least 2 units. PocketWizard PWP-TR 801-125 PLUS II Transceiver - Black

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why not stick with natural light? Once you practice and get the hang of it you will probably enjoy it more and get great pictures.
There is quite a learning curve (and cost) with flash and mix that with managing kids and it can take the fun out of it in a hurry.

Most reactions

Back