Need some help with a self-portrait studio setup!

sokoloff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi forum users and thanks for your time and interest to look at my post/question(s)!

I've recently set out on a self-portrait project and getting the advice, wisdom and knowledge from professionals in the field on how to do what I want to do is crucial.

My mission is to assemble a small, simple and consolidated quality studio setup comprised of one camera, one lens, one back drop and one light (if possible and which ever smaller accessories needed such as flash sync peripherals, card readers, etc.) that I can shoot self portraits in.

I'd like those self-portraits to target a specific style of portraiture, the likes of which is seen in Vogue, other fashion oriented magazines/spreads, and most importantly like the examples I've provided below.

If possible, I'd like to be able to use a DSLR for the convenience of not having to fumble about with film and chemicals... but if it's not possible to get the look i'm after with Digital, I will do film.

I'm pretty familiar with Photoshop so post-processing in small amounts won't be that much of an issue if and where it's needed.

Related Questions:
• Which graduated backdrop? Colours? Brands/Makes?
• Which light(s)? Brands/Makes?
• Most viable camera make and model?
• Lens focal length and type? Distance from camera on tripod to model?
• Which is the best, as in most stable, reliable and heavy duty, tripod?
• Wired remote shutter release with a cable to reach the distance between model and camera?

Example Photos of the technique I'm looking to do:

kasiastrussbambinorthwo.jpg

sdenimmarlslouchysweats.jpg

FYI: I've got a strict $4,500 USD budget for all this, but if possible, I'd like to not spend all that.

- Thanks and my best regards to all!

My mission is to assemble a small, simple and consolidated quality studio setup comprised of one camera, one lens, one back drop and one light (if possible and which ever smaller accessories needed such as flash sync peripherals, card readers, etc.) that I can shoot self portraits in.

Welcome. From the examples you provided (by the way, if pictures are not taken by you, please convert them to links - TPF policy for copyright is strict), one light is not sufficient. One lens may do it (a 70-200 zoom, no need for stabilization). Consider also diffusors, snoots, gobos, etc.
However, since you are asking also for camera, etc, please set also a time budget: learning to take good pictures takes time, and things are even more difficult if you want self portraits.
Good readings for lighting are Light: science & magic, and Hotshoe diaries. They do not cut much of your budget ;)
A place to learn about lights is also Strobist .

I'm not able to give specific indications for most of the tools you need, but I know your budget does not allow to take "the best". Consider that only tripods go up to $1000 + head to be bought apart, if you want the best.
Regarding cameras, I do not know about Nikon range, however in Canon the portrait camera in your range is 5DII ($2000 plus about $1000 for the zoom lens). If you cannot afford it, you could go straight down to 600D/T3i ($600, sensor equal to all intermediate models, and if you shoot just self portraits, no need for fancy body features; tiltable screen towards you, by the way).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back