Need some help with getting tripod

Inst!nct

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 190 legs are excellent - you'll not go wrong with them until you have 400mm 2.8 to mount. I have a set that I have been using for many years. The 496 head is okay, but have a look on Craig's List and other local used boards and see if you can something more like a 468 head. The separate tension control is a VERY useful feature; buying used can save a LOT of $$$

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, have you considered Adoramas Flashpoint line? Not bad stuff, and less than Manfrotto for equivalent gear. Also, the max load of that tripod is 11lbs, not bad but I always try to go for gear that is rated higher than what I am using it for. I would shoot for the 16-18lb range personally.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, have you considered Adoramas Flashpoint line? Not bad stuff, and less than Manfrotto for equivalent gear. Also, the max load of that tripod is 11lbs, not bad but I always try to go for gear that is rated higher than what I am using it for. I would shoot for the 16-18lb range personally.

CF1228 Flashpoint F-1228 Carbon Fiber Tripod, 4 Section Leg Set, Supports 17.6 lbs., Maximum Height 60". Like this one? humm, I was also considering going giotto, but don't understand their pricing or which one (leg + head) i wanted

bidding on a mtl on craigslist :)

Last edited:
I discovered Velbon when we needed a couple extra tripods. Less expensive than bigger brand names, but still great tools that have taken a beating in the field.

I got that tripod last Spring, but pulled the head and installed a Enterprise ball head, so as to match my other gear. Tried to sell the new head for 35.00 shipped but no takers so it sits in the garage. This tripod works for me when I need one, and for shorter work I have a 'Mighty Low Boy' I converted a Velbon ball head and it resides on the Low Boy. :)

Last edited:

CF1228 Flashpoint F-1228 Carbon Fiber Tripod, 4 Section Leg Set, Supports 17.6 lbs., Maximum Height 60". Like this one? humm, I was also considering going giotto, but don't understand their pricing or which one (leg + head) i wanted

bidding on a mtl on craigslist :)
Giottos tripods are what I recommend. I think they give a bit more value for the $$$ than Manfrotto does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back