Need some ideas for a new business name

cgipson1 said:
I would love it! ;)

Omg is it going to be like one of those certifications like A+ and Network +?

cgipson1 said:
I would love it! ;)

Omg is it going to be like one of those certifications like A+ and Network +?

Well.. based on some the new "Schools" popping up.. like the "10 steps to be a pro" thing, probably! Then the schools will make money, and the clowns still won't get jobs! lol!

But hey.. it would sure cut back on the numbers... since you know that "Todays" average wannabe pro is not going to do anything that requires thought or preparation! :)

Last edited:
Well I will help her out:

"Your Location" Photography
Use your initials and your friends initials "K and __" Photography
Use a phrase related to photography: Aperture studio, Shutterbug Pictures, Viewfinder Studio
Use a phrase from another language that can describe your personality, style, or work ethic: Bonita, Belissima, Aloha...Photography

What if she uses something descriptive about the quality of her work? (words like Underexposed, overexposed, out of focus, or my favorite "badly lit"? Wouldn't that be more accurate?

Have you seen the OP's photos? This comment is pretty harsh if you haven't.

cgipson1 said:
Well.. based on some the new "Schools" popping up.. like the "10 steps to be a pro" thing, probably! Then the schools will make money, and the clowns still won't get jobs! lol!

But hey.. it would sure cut back on the numbers... since you know that "Todays" average wannabe pro is not going to do anything that requires thought or preparation! :)

I mean I got A.S. in IT, they actually prepped you for the test not just the shortcuts. Those certs are more of a resume builder if antything.

Well I will help her out:

"Your Location" Photography
Use your initials and your friends initials "K and __" Photography
Use a phrase related to photography: Aperture studio, Shutterbug Pictures, Viewfinder Studio
Use a phrase from another language that can describe your personality, style, or work ethic: Bonita, Belissima, Aloha...Photography

What if she uses something descriptive about the quality of her work? (words like Underexposed, overexposed, out of focus, or my favorite "badly lit"? Wouldn't that be more accurate?

Have you seen the OP's photos? This comment is pretty harsh if you haven't.

I apologize.. that was not meant to be aimed specifically at the OP.. more just a reply to mirrorrim's post.... I have edited my post, but can't edit the quoted ones!

cgipson1 said:

I mean I got A.S. in IT, they actually prepped you for the test not just the shortcuts. Those certs are more of a resume builder if antything.

Yes they are! I got my MCSE back when it meant something.. but it is now basically devalued by all of the people who took classes, were taught how to pass the tests (but not how to do anything), and now claim to be "MCSE's"! I didn't go to school for mine... took the first two tests without even cracking a book! I am glad I have many years of experience and a lot of good references to back up my certs, LOL!

(People claiming professional knowledge they don't have???? Sounds familiar, doesn't it!) :)

Wow!! I'm new to these forums and I too posted my first post in the wrong forum. Hardly the crime of the century! Think some people here have a major chip on their shoulder. The whole idea of a forum is to discuss ideas and share experience and knowledge. If I have to be a professional with x years of experience before I'm worthy of advice then maybe I won't bother!! Not aiming this at everyone, just the minority of posters who shot the op down for asking for a few suggestions!!

Have a great day ;-)

I know I’m late joining this conversation, but I have to addsome suggestions to kmorr1121’s post in March……..

Does this person really think she’s ready for the bigtime? I mean seriously, you can’t evencome up with a name for your “business”??? Clearly you are not ready to call yourself a “photographer” because itappears you lack any amount of creativity. Your word “cutsie” should never be used when discussing any aspect ofthe photography “profession” unless you are truly an amateur. Perhaps you should stick to doing whatapparently you do best: stay-at-home-soccer-mom who is just looking for a hobby.AMATEUR.

I didn't realise choosing a name had so much to do with how qualified you are as a photographer. Learn something new everyday. I'd say trashing other people online like you intended with your stay at home soccer mom remark is also not something a professional should do.

I disagree.. the new trend for amateurs to call themselves professional and charge for crap photography, is causing a large percentage of the public to assume that most if not all photographers are are incompetent idiots!

If we don't try to police our own ranks.. then one of the days, after enough complaints.. the government will step in and do it for us! That would almost be a relief though! Imagine having to prove you were competent before being issued a business license???

so then do you feel picking a name for a business is a photography skill? That your competance as a photographer is based on your ability to pick a name? and what signifies and amatuer versus professional. the OP has had 6 years under her belt. doesnt exactly sound like a novice. Though she could be an amatuer when it comes to naming, and branding an image for herself. i'd think that was more along the marketing and advertisement. Creativity in one field doesn't nessicarily mean you are creative in all fields.

I have no problem with having to have a certification to prove confidence. Nothing wrong with having standards. but being an ass to a simple poster won't cause anyone to shut there business. All you will do is maybe at the most run them off the site. Nothing is accomplished. And if you feel the need to run people off the site simply because they are asking for some help on a business name, maybe you should rethink your priorities.

I didn't realise choosing a name had so much to do with how qualified you are as a photographer. Learn something new everyday. I'd say trashing other people online like you intended with your stay at home soccer mom remark is also not something a professional should do.

I disagree.. the new trend for amateurs to call themselves professional and charge for crap photography, is causing a large percentage of the public to assume that most if not all photographers are are incompetent idiots!

If we don't try to police our own ranks.. then one of the days, after enough complaints.. the government will step in and do it for us! That would almost be a relief though! Imagine having to prove you were competent before being issued a business license???

so then do you feel picking a name for a business is a photography skill? That your competance as a photographer is based on your ability to pick a name? and what signifies and amatuer versus professional. the OP has had 6 years under her belt. doesnt exactly sound like a novice. Though she could be an amatuer when it comes to naming, and branding an image for herself. i'd think that was more along the marketing and advertisement. Creativity in one field doesn't nessicarily mean you are creative in all fields.

I have no problem with having to have a certification to prove confidence. Nothing wrong with having standards. but being an ass to a simple poster won't cause anyone to shut there business. All you will do is maybe at the most run them off the site. Nothing is accomplished. And if you feel the need to run people off the site simply because they are asking for some help on a business name, maybe you should rethink your priorities.

I am not trying to run off anybody! I understand why you are sensitive on this subject though! ;)

katinthehat357 said:
I'm insulted, that's who I am....

We owe it to ourselves as professional photographers to maintain the integrity of our chosen profession. That's not to say that a person can't have natural talent in an area, or be able to have great composition in the frame, without having studied the art of photography. Not true at all. However, as a trained, formally educated photographer, it just infuriates me that anyone can pick up a point-and-shoot disposable camera and call him/herself a "photographer."

Having paid my dues in this profession, being an assistant for many years post-graduation from an actual art school of photography, I'm also doing this "chick" a favor in the long run. The real world is hard-core and cruel, so KMM1121 needs to thicken her skin considerably and be ready for war. I only hope she knows that the current photography market is saturated with wannabe's who do weddings, seniors, maternity, and boudoir........

Katinthehat357

Wow, you went to an ACTUAL art school? Not a fake one? Lol

Tell me more about how everyone else doesn't appreciate it as much as you.

I love the Internet.

I am not trying to run off anybody! I understand why you are sensitive on this subject though! ;)

Running them off, policing them, Either or. This to me doesnt really even matter. What matters to me is you have someone here with a decent amout of experience being name called and told she doesn't know photography just because she was asking for help with a name for her company, By someone who decided his first post on this forum was to attack someone he knew absolutly nothing about. Sorry but that's just garbage to me. Just funny how some of the people who are quick to point out how experienced and great they are choose to spend so much time in the gutter.

Running them off, policing them, Either or. This to me doesnt really even matter. What matters to me is you have someone here with a decent amout of experience being name called and told she doesn't know photography just because she was asking for help with a name for her company, By someone who decided his first post on this forum was to attack someone he knew absolutly nothing about. Sorry but that's just garbage to me. Just funny how some of the people who are quick to point out how experienced and great they are choose to spend so much time in the gutter.

Why don't you just ignore me! You will be happier in the long run! :)

Umm if you scroll back up you will notice I quoted someone else to begin with. You jumped into the conversation. And trust me, your responces have no effect on my happiness.

chose something relevant to your loaction: it can be helpful if people can identify you as being close and local.

Where are you located?

Most reactions

Back