Need some ideas on 50D and D90 (buying before 20th of the month)

both lenses are tack sharp but the 1.8 has less distortion ( 50 1.8 and 50 1.4) the 1.8 is a pure af lens and will work fully with ur d90 it also has an aperture ring which the 1.4 doesnt. This is good if u use on older cameras or if u decide to reverse the lens, does not matter when its mounted cause u will be leaving the lens on max aperture and camera will set the proper aperture. both lenses are awesome for low light photography, the 1.4 obviously is just a tiny bit better one stop to be exact (i think its one stop) but u have to realize that usually lenses are least sharpest when they are shot wide open, so when u shoot the 50 at 1.8 it will be at its least sharpest setting same goes for the 1.4 at 1.4 BUT when u move the 1.4 to 1.8 its supposed to be sharper than the 1.8 because u have a bit of wiggle room. so the 1.4 at f2 will be sharper than the 1.8 but by the time u hit 2.8-4 it will be exactly the same. Also u get very little depth of field at 1.4 so it might sometimes give u softer images, no matter cause u can stop the aperature down, but by doing so ur wasting money as u can have the 50 1.8 for 1/4 the price.
the other thing is that the 1.4g is fully compatible with d5000 and cameras without af motor so if u want compatibility for future cameras maybe thats the one to go with (some say there are rumours for phasing out af motors in prosumer bodies) the 1.8 doesnt have a af motor in the lens so it will only af with cameras that have af built into them. I have the 1.8 and i LOVE it, i mainly use it on my d5000 if i have a stationary subject but it usually is stuck to my n90s. The last thing is that the 1.4g will be quieter since the body isnt focusing. I would go for the 1.8 if i had the d90 hell i have the d5000 i went for the 1.8 i kinda want the 1.4 but wouldnt get it unless i have money to burn the 1.8 is enough for what i need i recommend it, its alot less cheaper than the 1.4, how about the 1.8 and an sb-600? u still save $$$

Thank you for all this information given ;)

Most reactions

Back