Need some input

crawdaddio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Let me know what you all think of this shot. I'm looking for critique on composition, framing, technical (focus, exposure), subject matter, and overall feel. I'm kinda new at this and I want some honest opinions from some well educated folks such as yourselves.

Thanks,
~DC

The Three (Looking for a nice DOF, crisp focus, and a feeling of anticipation)
thethree.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Check the guidelines for the critique section (should be at the top of the critique forum). Besides a few other things, it says that you should only post one photo at a time for critique...this makes it much easier and less confusing for people to give critique on an individual photo. You should also give us a little more info about your photos and what you were going for or trying to do.

Big Mike said:
Welcome to the forum.

Check the guidelines for the critique section (should be at the top of the critique forum). Besides a few other things, it says that you should only post one photo at a time for critique...this makes it much easier and less confusing for people to give critique on an individual photo. You should also give us a little more info about your photos and what you were going for or trying to do.

Ok, sorry about that. I'll edit down to one photo.
Thanks,
~DC

After spending some time looking at your image, I have come up with the following: What I don't like bout the composition is the lower portion of the front three balls is cut off. The only ball out of the five that I can see as a full sphere is the furthest one. I do like how the front three balls convey the feeling of a challenging shot for the 3 ball (which seems to have emphisis in this image) to the corner pocket. However, with that in mind; all three of the front balls should be "high" balls. Otherwise, I see an easy combination shot.
Your DOF is very good as far as making the 3 ball the primary subject of the composition. I think seeing the cue ball and maybe a cue stick tip ( not necessarily taking aim) would better convey the feeling of anticipation in this image. Your exposure could also be a half stop brighter. Your blacks are black, but your whites are a little dull. I hope this hasn't been too harsh! Regards

Not too harsh at all, this is what I want, honest opinions. Thank you for your comments. I agree about cutting off the bottom of the front three, but I wanted to crop out the bottom rail because it didn't look right to me. I'll try some more with a larger aperture, thanks for the suggestions.

~DC

i dont like the foward 3 balls. they draw my eye away from the object of focus. while they may be necessary to convey the feeling of the shot, i think there is a different way to set it up.
upon further looking, it also seems to be an unreasonable set up. it looks like the three balls leading away from the picture form a straight line and the three balls infront also form a straight line. This combination almost never happens to my experience.

so i like everything about the shot excet the forground balls. and i dont know what to tell you to change them. just take more shots i guess.

Points taken. Thank you. I actually didn't set these balls up for a photo, I just happened by and took the shot. I like the results, but there is always room for improvement.

Thanks,
~DC

this a really picky comment, but:

i find the glare right on the edge of the ball number irritating

Most reactions

New Topics

Back