Need some opinions about Canon 60D

Sharfy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just read and watch about it in the web but since I am a newbie I want more ideas and opinion about the camera ;)

i was looking at that camera but i havent researched anything yet. but i really like the 7d

What he means, is that with the D60, Canon has realigned it's line up of DSLR cameras.

The X0D line, was the 'semi-pro' line. Better than the Rebels but not as good as the single digit bodies (5D, 1D).

But the 60D is closer to the Rebel line, than the 50D was. Some are calling the 60D the 'Super Rebel'.

However, we now have the 7D, which could be considered the current 'semi-pro' camera in the line up.

So many people (gear heads mostly) are disappointed with the 60D because it doesn't follow the projected line from the 40D, 50D etc. But from Canon's perspective, it falls almost perfectly half way between the T2i and the 7D.

It does look to be a pretty good camera for it's $1000 price tag.

What he means, is that with the D60, Canon has realigned it's line up of DSLR cameras.

The X0D line, was the 'semi-pro' line. Better than the Rebels but not as good as the single digit bodies (5D, 1D).

But the 60D is closer to the Rebel line, than the 50D was. Some are calling the 60D the 'Super Rebel'.

However, we now have the 7D, which could be considered the current 'semi-pro' camera in the line up.

So many people (gear heads mostly) are disappointed with the 60D because it doesn't follow the projected line from the 40D, 50D etc. But from Canon's perspective, it falls almost perfectly half way between the T2i and the 7D.

It does look to be a pretty good camera for it's $1000 price tag.

Wow, Thanks! since I am a newbie I really need opinions and words like this ;)

In Nikon I already choose D90 but still comparing it with Canon camera 50D and this 60D.

My opinion is that it’s a poor man’s 7D.

- It’s got 18 MP, like the 7D.
- It has the fancy new iFCL metering that was introduced with the 7D.
- It has kick a$$ video, just like the 7D.

- It does not have weather sealing.
- It does not have dual DIGIC 4 processors or as high of burst: 5.3 vs. 8. fps.
- It does not have as good of an AF system, or as many points: 9 vs. 19.

My opinion is that it’s a poor man’s 7D.

- It’s got 18 MP, like the 7D.
- It has the fancy new iFCL metering that was introduced with the 7D.
- It has kick a$$ video, just like the 7D.

- It does not have weather sealing.
- It does not have dual DIGIC 4 processors or as high of burst: 5.3 vs. 8. fps.
- It does not have as good of an AF system, or as many points: 9 vs. 19.

Thanks, How about D90?

I thought I read somewhere that the 60D uses SD cards, not CF cards. Is that true? Does it accept SD cards in addition to CF cards, or does it simply not use CF cards at all?

When I first heard about the 60D I wondered whether I'd upgrade my 50 to it, but it's sounding like that answer is an easy "no". Cheaper body, not sealed as well, slower burst rate, no CF card support? No thanks.

I thought I read somewhere that the 60D uses SD cards, not CF cards. Is that true? Does it accept SD cards in addition to CF cards, or does it simply not use CF cards at all?

When I first heard about the 60D I wondered whether I'd upgrade my 50 to it, but it's sounding like that answer is an easy "no". Cheaper body, not sealed as well, slower burst rate, no CF card support? No thanks.

I think the info given to me 60D uses SD only :) I really had hardtime choosing a SLR camera which is not more than $2k (KIT)

Thanks, How about D90?

You mean the D90 compared to the 60D?

I couldn’t say really. The 60D isn’t even out yet so its hard to directly compare the two.

When you compare bodies it doesn’t really mean anything without considering the lenses too. It’s about a whole photographic system, not just the body.

Bodies come and go, but glass will stay with you much longer. If a lens is of legendary status when it was released, it is quite possible that people will still be using them decades later.

I would say that Nikon probably has the edge right now for bodies, but this could change very quickly/easily.

I am a huge fan of Canon glass. With the updates to the big telephotos, their lens lineup is looking very impressive.

As I just stated in another thread yesterday though, Nikon has the 50mm 1.4G lens that is worlds ahead of Canon's 50mm 1.2L in terms of performance vs. value.

You are the only one who knows what types of lenses you like, so the decision has to be yours on which one to go with. Do research, and look at the lenses especially. Don't worry researching lenses is fun if you like photography.

It’s so hard to say that Canon is better than Nikon, or that Nikon is better than Canon because they are both great in their own ways.

It depends greatly on what type of lenses and photography you want to do, and what you are already invested in.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, How about D90?

You mean the D90 compared to the 60D?

I couldn’t say really. The 60D isn’t even out yet so its hard to directly compare the two.

When you compare bodies it doesn’t really mean anything without considering the lenses too. It’s about a whole photographic system, not just the body.

Bodies come and go, but glass will stay with you much longer. If a lens is of legendary status when it was released, it is quite possible that people will still be using them decades later.

I would say that Nikon probably has the edge right now for bodies, but this could change very quickly/easily.

I am a huge fan of Canon glass. With the updates to the big telephotos, their lens lineup is looking very impressive.

As I just stated in another thread yesterday though, Nikon has the 50mm 1.4G lens that is worlds ahead of Canon's 50mm 1.2L in terms of performance vs. value.

You are the only one who knows what types of lenses you like, so the decision has to be yours on which one to go with. Do research, and look at the lenses especially. Don't worry researching lenses is fun if you like photography.

It’s so hard to say that Canon is better than Nikon, or that Nikon is better than Canon because they are both great in their own ways.

It depends greatly on what type of lenses and photography you want to do, and what you are already invested in.

Hope this helps.

Another wow opinion for me! THANKS THANKS..... yeah I just love the 50mm 1.4 g lens of Nikon because I will be more on portraiture and Indoor photography soon.... a big thanks for the shared knowledge ;)

for D90, what is the best lens in outdoor photography, pre-nuptial and etc....

for D90, what is the best lens in outdoor photography, pre-nuptial and etc....

There really is no best, it depends on the situation. You may want an ultra wide or you may want a telephoto.

D90 won't do 1080p video either, if that's a concern.

Most reactions

Back