Need Some Thoughts on Pricing - Portrait Session

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Someone is asking me to do a run of head-shots for about 11 people.

I'm figuring this is going to be somewhat challenging. I'm guessing probably 1 hour travel, 1 hour setup, 2 hours shooting on-site, probably 2-3 hours post-processing, but... I really don't know.

As far as gear... I have a couple options. I have three constant lights... 250W each, with stands and umbrellas. I figure it'll probably work, but not be "great". I also have two speedlights. Also workable... probably not perfect. A third would probably help a lot.

I have the D800 and figure I'd use either the 24-70 2.8 or the 105mm macro.

I should probably pickup a backdrop.

Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

Thanks all!

As far as the set up goes, I cant help you with that.

For pricing, for some reason, $50 a head stands out to me. So $550. Depends though, is 1 person ( the company ) paying for everyone? Or is each person paying for themself?

I think you are over complicating things. I've been doing a ton of headshots over the past month and all were taken with one speedlight through a softbox with a reflector on the opposite site. I do have a gray backdrop that I bring if the location sucks.

As far as the set up goes, I cant help you with that.

For pricing, for some reason, $50 a head stands out to me. So $550. Depends though, is 1 person ( the company ) paying for everyone? Or is each person paying for themself?

1 person is paying.

I think you are over complicating things. I've been doing a ton of headshots over the past month and all were taken with one speedlight through a softbox with a reflector on the opposite site. I do have a gray backdrop that I bring if the location sucks.

Really? Interesting. Can I see an example?

Thank you both for your comments.

2-3 hours of post-time seems a little high for 11 headshots to me Chris; a good set-up and you shouldn't need more than 2-3 minutes per person. To add on to Runnah's comments, one-light headshots are dead simple. This a low-key one lighter, here's another. This one is technically a two light shot, but the second light is on the background. If you can find a light-coloured wall, you'll be fine.

My set-up is very simple. SB-800 in a 30" Ezybox high, 30 deg camera left, and a 48" 5 in 1 close in to the subject on the opposite side.

Edited to add: I would probably bill this out at around $500 - 550 based on your time estimates, and about $425 based on what I would estimate (1 hr travel, 30 min set-up, 15 min tear down, 1 hr shooting, 30 minutes post).

Last edited:
A backdrop can be as simple as fabric or paper taped to the wall. If you like the company use gaffers tape, if you hate them use duct tape :D

Sent you a PM

One softbox and a reflector works fine. Having something to brighten up the background would be nice, though. Something with a snoot to drop a light region right behind their head is a nice look. Which this doesn't have. Apart from lighting, a little attention to personal grooming would go a long ways.

Softbox high-ish 45 degrees camera right, reflector lowish 45 degrees camera left. It's all there in the eyes. Wool blanket behind.

$Boom Hed Shot.jpg

ETA: Also note please chin thrust, tongue against the roof of the mouth, natch.

ETA2: And just to pull the curtain aside, THIS is where ALL the magic happens, baby. Feast your eyes on all my sweet, sweet gear:

$DSC_2931.JPG

Last edited:
An Evil thought crossed my mind....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would price it out based on your CODB, allowing yourself at least a halfway decent profit margin. don't forget to add taxes into the price so you don't get stuck eating that cost when you pay the income tax.

Also I might ad depending on the client that might want to have a bg associated with the business. As long as the subject is well lit you can have the bg be anything and have enough dof to make it look good but not distracting.
8653463304_de733b04fa_c.jpg
[/url] Pic2 by runnah555, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
OMG... great feedback, guys! Thank you all!

2-3 hours of post-time seems a little high for 11 headshots to me Chris; a good set-up and you shouldn't need more than 2-3 minutes per person. To add on to Runnah's comments, one-light headshots are dead simple. This a low-key one lighter, here's another. This one is technically a two light shot, but the second light is on the background. If you can find a light-coloured wall, you'll be fine.

My set-up is very simple. SB-800 in a 30" Ezybox high, 30 deg camera left, and a 48" 5 in 1 close in to the subject on the opposite side.

Edited to add: I would probably bill this out at around $500 - 550 based on your time estimates, and about $425 based on what I would estimate (1 hr travel, 30 min set-up, 15 min tear down, 1 hr shooting, 30 minutes post).

Ok, that's great insight and the price sounds reasonable. I think I was a little high but I tend to be billing businesses for things and they tend to have a little more resilience to the higher prices.

A backdrop can be as simple as fabric or paper taped to the wall. If you like the company use gaffers tape, if you hate them use duct tape :D

hahah... that's a really good point. Thanks!

Sent you a PM

Thank you!!

One softbox and a reflector works fine. Having something to brighten up the background would be nice, though. Something with a snoot to drop a light region right behind their head is a nice look. Which this doesn't have. Apart from lighting, a little attention to personal grooming would go a long ways.

Softbox high-ish 45 degrees camera right, reflector lowish 45 degrees camera left. It's all there in the eyes. Wool blanket behind.

View attachment 43301

ETA: Also note please chin thrust, tongue against the roof of the mouth, natch.

ETA2: And just to pull the curtain aside, THIS is where ALL the magic happens, baby. Feast your eyes on all my sweet, sweet gear:

View attachment 43302

:lol:!

Huge help, man - and great to see what you produced from such... humble... surroundings. :)

Sounds like you need to figure out what your hourly rate is.
FreelanceSwitch Hourly Rate Calculator

Oh I know what my hourly rate is. It's expensive. :lol:

Also I might ad depending on the client that might want to have a bg associated with the business. As long as the subject is well lit you can have the bg be anything and have enough dof to make it look good but not distracting.
8653463304_de733b04fa_c.jpg
[/URL] Pic2 by runnah555, on Flickr[/IMG]

That looks great!

Thanks again, everyone. This is huge. I think I'll do $600, and with the clever ideas it reduces my costs - which is perfect.

Most reactions

Back