Need Suggestion Selecting Camera

If you get a good deal, consider to get a D5200 with the 18-55mm kit lens. Later you can get either a 35mm f/1.8G or a 50mm f/1.8G lens as well.

Among your options: Nikon D5100 +
18-55mm kit lens. Later you can get either a 35mm f/1.8G or a 50mm f/1.8G lens as well.

Thanks. D5200 will cost me around 660usd but would that be fast enough that I won't require an additional 50mm 1.8 lens (which I guess is required for shooting fast moving objects / children).

Any particular reason for choosing D5100?

The camera's would all be the same in speed in terms of the F/stops. The F/stop is all controled by the the lens. That is why the kit lenses are slower and you would want a 50mm. The 1.8 is your aperature size which allows you to let in more light, this allows you to shoot faster speeds. So fast refer's to what it will let the camera do. Say you have a f3.5-5.6 on your kit lens, it will be much slower than a 1.8.

I would go with either the d3200 or the d5200 (if possible), they are quite a bit newer than the Canon sensor and the camera has 6 MP more, as well as better dynamic range and dark light capabilities. The D5200 would be better for a few of the video options but much of the photography aspects will be the same. Also if I remember right the 5200 has a nicer screen as well as it being able to tilt and move.

Last edited:
If you get a good deal, consider to get a D5200 with the 18-55mm kit lens. Later you can get either a 35mm f/1.8G or a 50mm f/1.8G lens as well.

Among your options: Nikon D5100 +
18-55mm kit lens. Later you can get either a 35mm f/1.8G or a 50mm f/1.8G lens as well.

Thanks. D5200 will cost me around 660usd but would that be fast enough that I won't require an additional 50mm 1.8 lens (which I guess is required for shooting fast moving objects / children).

Any particular reason for choosing D5100?

The D5100:
- Has in-camera HDR
- Has a flip-out screen
- Has a slightly lower noise at high ISO
- Has a longer battery life
- Has a better boost ISO
etc...

The D3200 does not have these.

The kit lens will be great to start.
Later you can get a f/1.8 prime lens com complement, for faster shuter speed.

Here's my own shots with D5200 and the 18-55mm kit lens:
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR - a set on Flickr

I changed my last post because I forgot that the 5100 was only 16.2 MP. It is the older sensor more comparable to the older Canon sensors. I would shy away from the older things.

can someone please tell me what's the difference between 1.8G and 1.8D lens? G seems to be more expensive then D

can someone please tell me what's the difference between 1.8G and 1.8D lens? G seems to be more expensive then D

The "G" series is newer, better and has a built in focus motor inside the lens, what will make it auto-focus in all Nikon cameras with no internal built-in auto focus system in the camera body, like the D3x00 and the D5x00 series.

The "D" series is older, good enough but not better, and has NO focus motor at all, what will NOT make it auto-focus in all Nikon cameras with no internal built-in auto focus system, like the D3x00 and the D5x00 series. So the "D" lenses need to be manually focused for these cameras.

The "D" lenses will only autofocus with the D7x00 series and above (D600, D610, D800, D3, D4 etc.), once these camera models have a built-in focus motor in the body, that moves and focus all "D" lenses. They can also use the "G" lenses too, just fine.

I changed my last post because I forgot that the 5100 was only 16.2 MP. It is the older sensor more comparable to the older Canon sensors. I would shy away from the older things.

The end result is not that much. dxomark.com gives a 81 points for the D3200 image sensor and a 80 point for the D5100 image sensor. For comparison, the D7100 gets a 83 points, and the D5200 a 84 points, as final image quality score. Here you certainly see noticible better results, aginst the D3200 and the D5100.

Last edited:
Ok, a couple of quick thoughts here as an owner of both a 16 mp D5100 and then later on a 24 mp D5200. Yes, there is a noticeable increase in picture/image quality between the two when two shots are taken with each under controlled conditions. Please note, it's noticeable. It is not earth shattering, mind numbing, or awe inspiring. But it is noticeable. Please also note that generally your not shooting under controlled conditions and your final IQ will be influenced a lot more by lighting conditions, technique, etc.

The real big difference between the 16 mp and 24 mp sensor is the final image size - the larger image size of the 24 mp sensor gives you a lot more options when you go to crop or post process a photo, and this is extremely useful if you shoot a lot of telephoto (like I do). On shots that don't require as much cropping/resizing, the differences will not be as noticeable or appreciated.

On the 3x series and 5x series cameras you will want G series lenses. These cameras do not have a built in autofocus motor and the older D models lenses that lack a motor built into the lens will require you to manually focus the lens. Not something I generally recommend unless you only want to shoot at stuff that doesn't move and you always have plenty of time to get the lens adjusted and focused before you take the picture.

Both the D3300 and the D5200 have no focussing motor so will the 50mm autofocus on either of these cameras?

Both the D3300 and the D5200 have no focussing motor so will the 50mm autofocus on either of these cameras?

Yes, all lenses with a built in focus motor inside the lens will auto focus just fine in these models, like any Nikon "G" series lenses, like the the 'Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G'.

The older Nikon "D" lenses, like the 'Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D' will NOT auto focus on any D3x00 or D5x00 camera models, once neither the lens nor the camera have a motorized focusing system.

Most reactions

Back