Need tips for achieving sharper photos.

Honestly, aside from the obvious issues. Do you think they are good enough to hand over? I just am running out of ideas on how to edit and correct my mistakes.

Only you can make that call! :)

My gut is telling me not good enough and I should drag them to a reshoot. :er:

if you are charging... definitely! If you are doing freebies... either way....

I have had some experiences with shooting in bright sunlight and having the pictures not look as sharp as I know they can.
Without any proof, I have the feeling that the high contrast and the reflections on bright skin surfaces reduce the apparent sharpness.

Get these people in the open shade and your sharpness will zoon up.
Overhead bright light bad.

Okay, I plan to do a reshoot. I just wanted to know, if you were to photograph a family of three with a 24-70 @70mm about 20 feet away in AP mode. What aperture would you choose? I know condition vary on lighting/distance/lens etc. I would appreciate a little advice on that part. Thanks!

MrsLittle said:
Okay, I plan to do a reshoot. I just wanted to know, if you were to photograph a family of three with a 24-70 @70mm about 20 feet away in AP mode. What aperture would you choose? I know condition vary on lighting/distance/lens etc. I would appreciate a little advice on that part. Thanks!

I would shoot several shots using f5.6 to f11. Try your best to arrange their faces on the same plane.

probably F4 to F5.6 (assuming a DX body like your D7000)

F4 would have approximately 4' of DOF (I could easily fit a family into that!)

F5.6 would have about 5.5' DOF

I would use this to calculate it..... Online Depth of Field Calculator

Thanks Gipson...I just need to work on trying to get all my photos sharp and not just half. Of course I will focus more on exposure and stop taking every photo in the open sun.

One last question. I want to take a photo with my son and his class...should I put the focal point on the child closest to the camera that's in the middle?

Thanks Gipson...I just need to work on trying to get all my photos sharp and not just half. Of course I will focus more on exposure and stop taking every photo in the open sun.

One last question. I want to take a photo with my son and his class...should I put the focal point on the child closest to the camera that's in the middle?

typically DOF is 1/3 front - 2/3 back (approximately).. but it depends on lens, focal length, distance, etc.... it can be nearly 1/2 -1/2 at times.....

I would make sure you have a minimum of double to triple the DOF needed for sharpness, and focus on someone about 1/3 of the way into the subject group. If you are using a Wide-Angle (and for group shots, they do work well) you will have greatly enhanced DOF anyway..

use the calculator and go for it! :)

I'm just going to sit all my five kids in a row going back and try out my focus out like that.

O 12345 So if I am the O and my kids are lined up in a row, I should put my focus point on kid #2 right?

I think I need a DOF app to take with me everywhere.

I'm just going to sit all my five kids in a row going back and try out my focus out like that.

O 12345 So if I am the O and my kids are lined up in a row, I should put my focus point on kid #2 right?

I think I need a DOF app to take with me everywhere.

That should work! There are DOF apps for both Android and Apple phones.... which do you have, and I will suggest one!

I don't have a cell phone at the moment with being overseas. I will get one as soon as I move to San Fran and get that app on in right away.

you can also do print outs from the DOF calculator I sent you... take them with you! :)

Oh.. and the name is CHARLIE! lol!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back