Need tips on new 50mm prime lens

Flash "compulsory" simply means that you enabled the flash ... basically you forced the camera to use flash whether or not it thought a flash was needed.

Which mode were you using on the mode dial? Were you in M, Av, Tv, P???

The 1/15th sec exposure is what blew it for you. For handheld shots at 50mm your shutter speed should generally NOT go below 1/80th (that's the focal length of your lens multiplied by the crop-factor of your camera... which are 50 and 1.6. 50 X 1.6 = 80). While that is a "guideline" and not a rule, it's a "guideline" based on how still the "average" person is capable of holding the camera when they are actually TRYING to be steady and using a good technique. You're shutter is at less than 1/4 of that minimum speed guideline.

You didn't mention which model speedlite you have or what mode it was in. In E-TTL (or E-TTL II) mode it fires a pre-flash, evaluates how much power is needed for the "real" flash, and then the shutter opens and the flash fires a second time using the calculated power level. This all happens so fast that if you didn't know better you'd swear it only fires once.

If you're shooting in Av or Tv then the main dial adjusts the aperture or shutter speed (it adjusts aperture when in Av mode and shutter speed when in Tv mode).

If you're shooting on M (manual) then the main dial adjusts SHUTTER speed, but if you press-and-hold the [Av +/-] button (located near the upper right corner of the LCD screen on the back of your camera) WHILE turning the main dial THEN it will adjust the aperture. On a mid-level camera such as a 60D or above (pro bodies) there would be a separate dial/wheel for the aperture and shutter.

When the camera is in manual mode (even with a flash), the built-in meter will report the exposure settings as if no flash is being used. Try it! Take the speedlite off the camera (or just switch it off) meter a shot through the camera to find the exposure settings with no flash. Now turn the flash on and meter the shot again. You'll notice it's the _same_ settings... they haven't changed.

When you use flash in E-TTL mode the flash doesn't plan to fire at some fixed power level... it plans to fire twice. Once to test the lighting and the second time for the photo. The flash will adapt to whatever power level is needed (within the limits of what is possible.) In other words, had you simply bumped up the shutter speed to at least 1/80th sec and tried to hold the camera steady (with good holding technique) then you would have got a much better shot.

I was shooting in M- I always do unless I am inside and there is no chance of me getting a good shot without the popup flash.

I am actually kind of embarrassed because I thought I was shooting fully in manual, and I have gotten some great shots outdoors simply just adjusting the ISO and exposure on the Main Dial. So I guess it was partially just luck in those cases since I never actually adjusted the aperture.

I think I have some work to do :er:

I really appreciate all of your responses. I have some work to do, clearly. I had been getting some really great shots outside, but I think that this all explains why I have such big limitations... I need to learn some more.

I am a teacher... once school is out, I plan to devote more time to this. Thanks again!

Too slow a shutter speed: The camera moved.

It looks like you missed focus as well.

"Flash compulsory" means the camera decided the on-board flash was required.... but it just didn't have the horsepower to crank out the light to save the shot.

As new as I am, this seems like the most logical response.

Most reactions

Back