NEED tips on Newborns ASAP

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
I'm going to be shooting my friend's newborn (10 days old!) tomorrow, just as a favor to her and to practice my "skills".

I figured the closeup shots of the feet and hands, but what other shots work well for newborns?

Also, should I go buy some material/fabric to use as a background? I'm just going to use available light from the windows, I'm hoping she has some good light.. Other than that I'm pretty clueless..

Any Tips would be appreciated!

I pretty much use black and white exclusively for newborns. Their skin is often blotchy and red and just looks better in black and white. Close ups of hands, feet, ears, pretty much any baby part works well! Comparison of parent to baby is fun to, have the baby lay along the Mom or Dad's arm to show length, have baby grasp a finger from one of the parents, or all hands together is sweet as well!

As for a background, if you're doing mostly close ups you might be able to get away without one. Grab a baby blanket that Mom has around, tuck that under a couch cusion, spread the blanket on the floor and viola, background :mrgreen: I usually lay on my stomach to take newborn shots, getting down to their level really adds impact.

Here are a few from a recent shoot that I did to help with some ideas:

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1603bw.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

Most reactions

Back