Need to know what the best way is to set up my lights?

robin9000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a brand new photo studio and I would like to know how I should set it up. I do not have a fill card but I have two lights with umbrellas and then a third with just the light to use as a back ground light. Where in accordance to the model should I place my lights and at what height should they be in accordance to the model? I was also wondering how far or close to the modle should I place my lights? I have 35 watt daylight bulbs 5500K. Thanks for any insight someone can provide on how to do this.

That is a real open question, that will be impossible to give a "this is how you do it" answer.
Lighting is specific to each subject being photographed. For example...a person that has a full rounded face would take a different lighting aspect as opposed to someone with a long narrow face. As would shooting a full length photo as opposed to a head shot. Color of clothes or an article can also effect this.
As I said there are so many variables to consider there is no way to tell you how to do it. you have to not only consider angles...but heigth of the light, timing, duration, shadows...the list goes on.
Tjere are several websites that get you started, just google photography lighting techniques...that is just a start, after that I would get some books and read up on the subject, and of course trial and error....practice, practice, practice!!!

Here is a web site with simple, clear setups show for use with one,two,three,and four lights.

http://www.portraitlighting.net/

I think this would be a god place to start some on-line research into how to use your setup. The Photoflex web site also has some free tutorials on line.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back