The problem with the built-in flash (and even a camera mounted hot shoe flash) is that the light is hitting the subject from the same angle as the camera.
If you look at the example shots you posted, none of them have the light hitting the subject from the same angle as the camera. By having the light hit the subject at a different angle than the camera you can see both light and shadow which gives your subject form and substance.
At least with a good hot shoe flash, you can tilt & swivel it, allowing you to bounce the flash and thus make the light hit your subject from a different direction...but you can't really do that with the pop-up flash.
I also have a wedding coming soon
Are you the 'hired pro' for this wedding?
Not everyone needs a flash to shoot a wedding, but unless you are prepared and knowledgeable enough to shoot without flash, it would be irresponsible not to at least have a good hot shoe flash with you. Actually, it would be irresponsible not to have at least two flashes...not to mention at least two cameras and at least two lenses etc.
Thanks Mike.
No I'm not the hired pro, because there won't be any, they have no budget for it, that's why as the only one they know with an slr they asked me to take pictures with no pressure what so ever and for free.
Well I'm convinced about the external flash I guess I will have to find the money for it.
As for the wedding I've read in a Scott Kelby book that I can use a soft screen for my pop-up flash, he says that's a good alternative for weddings.
In the photos that I posted is there some pics that did not use flash at all &
I feel that the outdoor portraits and cityscapes should not need one to make the pics look natural ? Am I right ?
What about alternatives like diffusers reflectors and such ?
I guess I need to read a great article on when is a flahs needed and when it should be avoided, cause I took some portraits the other day and the one that did not use flash and only natural light coming from a window and outdoor looked so much better than the ones with the flahs on...
Thanks again.