need your input guys.

Someone mentioned a modification to the shutter release. That's a soft shutter release, just screws in, a $5 add on. The batteries are in the base plate. There is a screw-on/screw-off lid which can accept a coin. Look in there. I don't think that Series 1 Vivitar lens has macro capabilities. The cheapest way to get close-ups is to buy a $10 reversing ring for the 50mm.

Gary

Gary

Someone mentioned a modification to the shutter release. That's a soft shutter release, just screws in, a $5 add on. The batteries are in the base plate. There is a screw-on/screw-off lid which can accept a coin. Look in there. I don't think that Series 1 Vivitar lens has macro capabilities. The cheapest way to get close-ups is to buy a $10 reversing ring for the 50mm.

Gary

Gary

so they should look something like this

100_3661.jpg

that is my EF so it won't necessarily be the same

i heard about an adaptor like that will multiply the capability of the lens, i forgot what it's called, like 70-300mm lens will be 140-600mm, is it teleadapter??

is this where supposedly the battery be?
dsc0250km8.jpg

series 1 vivitar lens:
dsc0251ra6.jpg

i heard about an adaptor like that will multiply the capability of the lens, i forgot what it's called, like 70-300mm lens will be 140-600mm, is it teleadapter??

No that would be a 2x teleconverter.

what Seefutlung is referring to is a reversing lens adapter. what it does is makes it so you can mount the lens on the body backwards.

is this where supposedly the battery be?
dsc0250km8.jpg

Yup, that should be the batery.

No that would be a 2x teleconverter.

what Seefutlung is referring to is a reversing lens adapter. what it does is makes it so you can mount the lens on the body backwards.

Yup, that should be the batery.

better go to the camera store on the weekend,

mount the lens backwards? i quite don't get that, is it literally mounted backwards?

yea, teleconverter, lol stupid me. how much usually is that?
is it advisable to buy a second hand of that for dslr?

this is what i'm using on my 50mm to get a better macro but i'm still not happy with it.
i think its a close up filter?, (#1,2)
dsc0257ix3.jpg

Last edited:
better go to the camera store on the weekend,

mount the lens backwards? i quite don't get that, is it literally mounted backwards?

yea, teleconverter, lol stupid me. how much usually is that?
is it advisable to buy a second hand of that for dslr?

this is what i'm using on my 50mm to get a better macro but i'm still not happy with it.
i think its a close up filter?, (#1,2)
dsc0257ix3.jpg

For the first question, I do believe so, I don't do macro that way but everything I have read points in that direction

for the second question, I don't know, you would need a Nikon ownrer to be able to tell you for sure.

For the filters, Those do appear to be Magnifying filters, They are very hard to use, I have a set that I normally keep in my brief case. The DOF on those is razor thin, one so much as exhales focus is toast. I prefer to use my bellows for serious macro work. Much deeper DOF that way.

60mm macro is expensive ($450), if that reverse ring is 10 bucks, heck, i'll buy that instead. i mean, it do the same thing and purpose.

Get the 55 Macro it's one of the best macro lenses Nikon ever made and it's $200 used - if you're going to buy one. The Vivitar is Macro though so I dunno why you would want more??? You're just exploring the system right?

I read you said the camera guy would only give you $150.00 That's about right for a used shop. They usually pay 30% to 40% of what they know they can sell it for. So that means he's telling you it's worth about $450.00. And I think it's worth even more maybe. According to one site I read that was discussing the same model your camera has a "rare NIKON Soft release" mounted on the shutter release button which may increase it's value. This is the thing I didn't recognize.

It's showing allot of wear so if you wanna get maximum dollar out of it in the future get a $20 book that teaches how to disassemble and tune it - and while you're doing that touch up the paint. If it were me I wouldn't let it go as it sits there now for less than $300 (body + the kit lens) and (DIY) refurbished not less than $500. Those are the minimums though. I think I could get $750 to $900 for it after restoration.

The best part of the reversing ring is that you are still using high quality Nikkor glass and it, unlike a bellow or tubes, lets in a ton of light (like a macro). So you could shoot without a tripod if you desire. Generally, all close-up will give to very very shallow DOF. Those third party Close-up filter sets usually are not nearly as sharp as as OEM glass. (Close-up set glass start with the bottom of Coke bottles.) Most serious macro work is performed with a tripod for slow shutter speed and small aperture.

The soft shutter release is not rare and not Nikon, typically they are third party screw in devices which raises the shutter release from being depressed to elevated.

Gary

Get the 55 Macro it's one of the best macro lenses Nikon ever made and it's $200 used - if you're going to buy one. The Vivitar is Macro though so I dunno why you would want more??? You're just exploring the system right?

I read you said the camera guy would only give you $150.00 That's about right for a used shop. They usually pay 30% to 40% of what they know they can sell it for. So that means he's telling you it's worth about $450.00. And I think it's worth even more maybe. According to one site I read that was discussing the same model your camera has a "rare NIKON Soft release" mounted on the shutter release button which may increase it's value. This is the thing I didn't recognize.

It's showing allot of wear so if you wanna get maximum dollar out of it in the future get a $20 book that teaches how to disassemble and tune it - and while you're doing that touch up the paint. If it were me I wouldn't let it go as it sits there now for less than $300 (body + the kit lens) and (DIY) refurbished not less than $500. Those are the minimums though. I think I could get $750 to $900 for it after restoration.

the vivitar lens is for the filmed camera, i tried putting it in my d70s but it didn't work so i guess it's because it's not motored.
i want a macro lens for the dslr.
i won't sell the filmed camera, i just asked the store how much the value of it now.
that's one of my worries on buying used lens for dslr's, it has a motor inside so maybe if i'm so unlucky, i might pick up a used macro lens with broken motor.

Hey Zandman ... if you wear glasses the metal ring around the viewfinder will scratch the hell out of them. You need to buy a new rubber eye cup. There are many different kinds from round to elipitical to just a hard rubber ring.

Gary

Hey Zandman ... if you wear glasses the metal ring around the viewfinder will scratch the hell out of them. You need to buy a new rubber eye cup. There are many different kinds from round to elipitical to just a hard rubber ring.

Gary

yea i wear glasses.
you talking about the circlish like where you look at right?
do they have that rubber eye cup on the camera store, i mean, it's an old model so they might don't have it there.

the vivitar lens is for the filmed camera, i tried putting it in my d70s but it didn't work so i guess it's because it's not motored.
i want a macro lens for the dslr.

Oh, sorry! That's what I get for skimming instead of actually reading everything. :D I thought you were talking about for the film camera. :p

i won't sell the filmed camera, i just asked the store how much the value of it now.
that's one of my worries on buying used lens for dslr's, it has a motor inside so maybe if i'm so unlucky, i might pick up a used macro lens with broken motor.

If used shops there are like they are here you get a one year warrantee and an optional 3 years if you pay some more money - here it's like $20 or something like that.

But I wonder how much it is to have a motor replaced. I wouldn't think it would be that much - especially if you sent it directly to the factory rep and didn't go through a shop. <shrug>

Most reactions

New Topics

Back