zandman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
zandz.multiply.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have this "vintage" nikon.
have a complete set of lenses that i will be needing.
i don't know the specific model of the camera. just the basic tricks you know with filmed camera. thanks.
dsc0238qk3.jpg

dsc0240ez1.jpg

Uh...so what's your question??

oh, haha, sorry i forgot what i'm asking, lol
anyway, question is can you give me some advice on tricks with film camera like effects and stuff.

You'll have to be a bit more specific, since "effects and stuff" is kinda broad. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

on macro shots - that long lens is a macro lens i think, so how do you usually do it with this camera, is it the same with exposure, aperture, asa with the dslr? or should it be a little more over/under exposed.

lens - there's a "snow" flake like thing on some of the lens, i'm supposing those are molds, are there ways to clean it without bringing to the shop? because the dirt is inside the lens.

film - what's better, kodak or fuji film?

what settings usually are good for this kind of camera since it's kinda old.

hm, whatelse.. oh, do you guys know a store that develope JUST THE NEGATIVE, cuz most of the store i went to develop pictures, negative plus a cd copy, but i just want the negative. near chicagoland area.

are there still new parts that i can buy for this camera like strap, lens, flash, and the piece in top of the camera, i know it's replacable but idk what it's called.

and if you know a cool technique that this camera can do, i would appreciate it..

yup, i think that's all my question for now.
thanks ya'll..

Here's a few pieces of info.

If the body is old it will likely need new light seal.
LightSeal_F3.jpg

Usually needs replacing every 3 to 5 years. You can make your own from black packing foam or buy the Nikon kit for about $12.00

If you have fungus on your lenses there's nothing you can do about it AFAIK. You can kill any remaining and prevent further growth with various products but usually it eats into the coating and I don't know of any services that will repair and recoat the lenses for you. One thing you can try is to get some ultra fine rubbing compound like maybe the stuff they sell for CD and DVD scratch removal and see if you can't improve it a little. I would not recommend it unless the fungus caused enough damage that is shows up in prints though.

The camera itself can "do" any "cool techniques" that other DSLRs or SLRs can do. It sounds like you need a nice book on photography.

One investment you might want to make is in a flatbed scanner with film scanning abilities so you can work with the images on your computer. They range from about $150 to $300 or so.

All stores will do negs only (or positives (mounted and unmounted) just by telling them: "No prints please, negs only" etc. If you shoot B&W you can develop it yourself for about $20 worth of parts and whatever the chemicals cost these days.

B&W dark-rooms are fun, cheap, and fantastic for learning so you might also want to get a cheap-o second hand enlarger.

Last edited:
BTW, that's a black body "Nikon F2 Photomic A" not simply an F2. And I can't really tell by your photo there but it looks to me like someone modified the shutter release button or added an attachment of some kind. I guess there's lots and lots of repair and use information sites for that model - including the original manual. I know there are entire libraries of books for the F3... This will help you learn about the body: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/f2/nikonf2a/map.htm

BTW, in "fine" condition it still sells for about $500 or so - in "mint" with box is about $1k... so it's no junker.

i went to ritz camera store and they will only take it for $150,
it's my dad's. i just wanna try if i can do film pictures, i've been using dslr since i started so i'm not really familiar with the filmed ones.
yea, i think i really need a photography book because all the things i learned on my camera are just trial and error. got the right settings by experimenting.

thanks for the info, it really helped. :)

i went to ritz camera store and they will only take it for $150,
it's my dad's. i just wanna try if i can do film pictures, i've been using dslr since i started so i'm not really familiar with the filmed ones.
yea, i think i really need a photography book because all the things i learned on my camera are just trial and error. got the right settings by experimenting.

thanks for the info, it really helped. :)

Film SLRs work much the same way as dSLRs just minus almost all the auto settings.

Film SLRs work much the same way as dSLRs just minus almost all the auto settings.

yup.. except you can't view the photo instantly which i hate.
idk if the meter is broken because when i adjust the aperture and the speed, it won't go on center but it moves a lil'.
i'm gonna figure that out once i got the film developed.
i only got 8 shots, so 16 more.

yup.. except you can't view the photo instantly which i hate.
idk if the meter is broken because when i adjust the aperture and the speed, it won't go on center but it moves a lil'.
i'm gonna figure that out once i got the film developed.
i only got 8 shots, so 16 more.

yeah no insta-gratification. give it time you'll learn to love it, provided you have a good processing lab.

Check the batteries, My Canon does the same thing when the bateries are toast....it was kinda funny my bateries died yesterday and the meter was telling me I needed f/1.4 at 1/15 ASA800 on a bright sunny day :lmao:

yeah no insta-gratification. give it time you'll learn to love it, provided you have a good processing lab.

Check the batteries, My Canon does the same thing when the bateries are toast....it was kinda funny my bateries died yesterday and the meter was telling me I needed f/1.4 at 1/15 ASA800 on a bright sunny day :lmao:

filmed camera got batteries???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back