Need your opinions and thoughts

another anaolgy...

Even though a hot girl friend is a bigger pain in the ass than an ugly one I would still rather have the hot girlfriend. Its not for everyone... SOme guys like an ugly chick that tries real hard...

another anaolgy...

Even though a hot girl friend is a bigger pain in the ass than an ugly one I would still rather have the hot girlfriend. Its not for everyone... SOme guys like an ugly chick that tries real hard...

How old are you? Seriously... Take your crap somewhere else.

As for OP, I would keep the D300. It will be a scary jump from the D40, but read the manual, explore the features, and take pictures.

As numerous people have already said, it really, really, honestly, is not the camera that makes the photographer.

First of all, art is a subjective matter, yes, but if to you, art is having a fancy piece of equipment, well..you really are missing the point.

Yeah, no doubt, the higher end camera is gonna help, I never said otherwise, and if you can afford it, then congrats, but it doesn't mean your photos will be better right off the bat. Yes, the quality will be better and if you're making massive billboard sized prints, the quality difference is important. However for normal sized prints (and I use that phrase loosely) You won't see the difference. The thing that WILL make a difference to you is that generally higher end cameras are more convenient to use, (someone already mentioned the two wheel example), and have features that can be really helpful to a photographer.

Manufacturers make entry level cameras so people who are curious about and want to try out something new (like a dSLR) have something to start with that isn't a huge financial commitment. If you can afford to get a more expensive camera, there is no reason not to. There are more things to learn to use, but for me, and I'm assuming many others, learning is half the fun. OP, if you can afford to keep the new camera, and like photography, then keep it! People will say it's the glass that counts, but you already have a fair amount of lenses, and if anything, the new camera will be incentive for you to take more photos.

Also, it's always nice to have a backup body. Especially during an important event like during a wedding.

(oh yeah, mrodgers, if you're ever in the state of Washington, I'd like to put that theory of yours about beating anyone in this forum in a car to the test :))

Look, you have the D300 in hand. Was it a financial struggle? Even if it was only borderline, you have the D300 in hand. The glass you have will do for now. But you have the D300 in hand. It could be a case of buyers remorse of spending that kind of money, but is it a burdon to part with the money? If no, YOU HAVE THE D300 IN HAND.
agreed

How old are you? Seriously... Take your crap somewhere else.

As for OP, I would keep the D300. It will be a scary jump from the D40, but read the manual, explore the features, and take pictures.

Im 31... What do you mean crap... the original poster cant decide wether to keep a camera or not... he/she is so busy worried about the camera they are not even focusing on photography.... By the way how old are you... the jump form the d40 is scary... BAAAAA HAAAA scary...

Im 31... What do you mean crap... the original poster cant decide wether to keep a camera or not... he/she is so busy worried about the camera they are not even focusing on photography.... By the way how old are you... the jump form the d40 is scary... BAAAAA HAAAA scary...

1. You have to know how to use your camera in order to take pictures.
2. By scary I didn't mean scary like "the monster under your bed", but scary as in, "there is so many features on this camera and I have no idea what I'm doing.
3. Your crap was that analogy you made. IMO it was poor taste. That's all.

maybe you should go buy a Canon 40D and 5D...
We call people who say that, trolls. It has nothing to do with the OP, and is merely there to spark the whole "Canon vs. Nikon debate"

Oh and I'm 17.

DB... I was saying he should buy a couple of canons since he already had a few nikons... not that one was better than the other...

another anaolgy...

DB... I was saying he should buy a couple of canons since he already had a few nikons... not that one was better than the other...

:roll:

+1

OP, so many people in this world buy things that exceed their needs. Pick-up trucks and sports cars come to mind, as do most recreational acquisitions (who really needs an 18 lb bicycle?) If you like the D300, then keep it. It's a GREAT camera, and you will learn to use it. Might a lesser camera have sufficed - definitely. But look around your house, chances are the same can be said about a lot of things you own. That does not make you a bad person, perhaps a little susceptible to marketing and somewhat impulsive, but who here isn't.

+1

OP, so many people in this world buy things that exceed their needs. Pick-up trucks and sports cars come to mind, as do most recreational acquisitions (who really needs an 18 lb bicycle?) If you like the D300, then keep it. It's a GREAT camera, and you will learn to use it. Might a lesser camera have sufficed - definitely. But look around your house, chances are the same can be said about a lot of things you own. That does not make you a bad person, perhaps a little susceptible to marketing and somewhat impulsive, but who here isn't.

You couldn't have said it better !!! :thumbup:

"had a little bit of a laugh looking around myself while reading your text ;) "

IMHO, keep the D300, sell the D40 and with the money you make out of it, get a few good quality basic filters and a speedlight like an SB-600. That would leave you well equipped to start shooting / practising in different situations.
Just a thought

Well again thanks to everyone for there comments and suggestions. I wanted to update all of you on what I decided to do. I took back the D300 and purchased a D80. Its not that I didn't want to spend time learning the D300 but after going back and forth over and over this made sense. The reason for the D80 was that I wanted a camera that I did not have limited lens capabilities with as with the D40 I had to have lenses with the Auto Focus in them. I am hoping to get some time this week or weekend to try out the new D80. Thank you again for all of your help and suggestions. I am going to work hard to get better at taking photos and will look for all of your help and comments soon. Thanks again!

By the way if anybody is looking for a 2 month old D40 Let me know, it is in perfect shape.

+2

You will do well with the D80. At least now the decision has been made and you can go on about the fun of taking pictures. I still have my D80 and have no intensions to get rid of it either. It is a fine camera.

I think a lot of us were pulling for you to keep the D300 since it is such a great camera, but nonetheless, you made a decision that was right for you. Congrats.

Don't forget to post your photos.

Well again thanks to everyone for there comments and suggestions. I wanted to update all of you on what I decided to do. I took back the D300 and purchased a D80. Its not that I didn't want to spend time learning the D300 but after going back and forth over and over this made sense. The reason for the D80 was that I wanted a camera that I did not have limited lens capabilities with as with the D40 I had to have lenses with the Auto Focus in them. I am hoping to get some time this week or weekend to try out the new D80. Thank you again for all of your help and suggestions. I am going to work hard to get better at taking photos and will look for all of your help and comments soon. Thanks again!

By the way if anybody is looking for a 2 month old D40 Let me know, it is in perfect shape.
Bad move there. The D80 is too much for your level.....

Nah, just kidding about this :mrgreen:

Have fun with it. I wish I had the cash to outlay for a dSLR, I'd take you up on the D40 since that is what I would like to have. Would you take $20 for it? :mrgreen:

Here is the funny part... the D80 is *no* easier or harder to learn than the D300... lol.

Most reactions

Back