need your opinions, comments, whatev.

zandman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
zandz.multiply.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i took this picture on colored and edited in photoshop to be b&w.
tell me what you think.
z25zn1.jpg

dsc0093copyuh6.jpg

z23he2.jpg

C&C per req:

1. A couple of issues with this image: One it's desparately in need of straightening; all the water is about to run out of the image and onto my desk! The next thing is the exposure; you have blown highlights in the foreground and LH background and full black along the shoreline. I would suggest doing your best to fix the exposures issues before conversion. The conversion however isn't bad. You've got a good tonal range, and I suspect that with a better exposed image to start with, this would have turned out nicely.

2. Minor exposure issues with this one; you have a blown LH edge, and full black RH edge. I would suggest cropping a bit of the left, and about 1/3 off of th eright; that will leave you with a nice sky, a good silhouette, and nice detail in the water.

3. Once again the exposure is somewhat off; is your camera by any chance set to 'Spot' metering vice matrix? This image is also leaning somewhat to the left. With respect to the composition of this image it is a bit busy; I think perhaps it would have been better just having the two fishermen in the foreground and the water/breakwater in the background, but not the boats you see to image right.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

it's always like that here on summer.
the exposure, when i took the photo, i think i got the right exposure.
on photo shop, i desaturate it then adjusted the contrast/brightness cuz i thought it would look good like that on b&w like looking overexposed.
the two fishermen, my problem with them, (beside the boats) is i focused it on the water, so the lady on left is kinda blurry.

thanks for the comments, (now i'm off to work!)

@zandman - i like the extreme constrast with number1. the dazzle, the sweating guy in the sun, the motorboat. it's got a cool energy about it.

I really think you should post the versions with "correct" exposure and/or contrast - these are all way too harsh on my eyes and most of the details in each shot are lost. At least we'd be able to compare the two versions and critique the photography rather than the Photoshop, because the Photoshop treatment isn't working for me.

Last edited:
I really think you should post the versions with "correct" exposure and/or contrast - these are all way too harsh on my eyes and most of the details in each shot are lost. At least we'd be able to compare the two versions and critique the photography rather than the Photoshop, because the Photoshop treatment isn't working for me.

sure thing, :wink:

i lost the colored one of the last picture, i have it in raw file but i haven't installed my software yet cuz i don't really use the raw that much, i will get it later when i get home from work.

z25zb9.jpg

dsc0092vq7.jpg

It appears from your original of the first image it was way overexposed and with your conversion you have attempted to save the image.
Although, this is not the type of image I would normally be drawn to, there are indeed those who would enjoy.
I don't want to sound like I am preaching as that is not my intent, but, as with any color image, a B&W image with good exposure is always most enjoyable, in my opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back