need your thoughts

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, I am seeking your help!!!!... I have been asked to take some shots of a few hotels. Basically they need photos of their function rooms decorated for weddings to use in catalogues and on their website. I am very keen but not sure how much to charge??? Any ideas?? I gather they will want the images on cd to print as they need and no actual prints. There are 3 hotels that they want photographed, all pretty much in my area. ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time:blushing: doing anything like this. Regards, Jem x

There are a few things to consider:

I gather they want unlimited rights to use the photos however they want. Do they want to possess the copyright, or would you keep that?

What kind of hotels? Economy or luxury? Big chain or local business?

Is this job going to take a few hours, or a few days?

If I were doing a job like this for a locally owned, non-chain, hotel I'd charge $500 for the first 2 hours, and $100 per hour after that, up to 8 hours in a single 24 hour period. Beyond 8 hours in a day, I charge $250 an hour. This makes my half day rate $700, and my full day rate $1100, but I like phrasing it as an hourly rate. With an hourly rate the client can save money if everyone is on time, things go smoothly etc.... There seems to be less waiting around than when I just charge a day rate. Sitting on my butt earning $100+ per hour doesn't sound bad, but it drives me crazy. I'd rather just get the job done.

If I need an assistant the rate goes up $50 to $100 per hour depending on the skill level of my assistant. I pay equipment haulers $20 an hour, and skilled photographers $50 an hour to assist me.

After the shoot I provide either an online gallery of the images, or proof prints, and they can select the photos they want. For unlimited usage of the photos (delivered as files) I would charge a larger, local business $100 each (tiny, local businesses, like a little shop, $50 per photo ). I still retain full copyright, and can use the photos however I see fit. If this was a big hotel chain, or larger ad campaign (other than local), I would charge $300 per photo.

If they want to purchase the copyright my price would depend on how valuable I think the photos would be to my business. If I don't think they'd be very useful for me, I might only charge $200 or $300 per photo. If I think the photos would be worth more (as advertising, stock, art, etc...) I might want $1000 to $3000 per photo.

Where I'm at, Kansas USA, is a low priced market for photography. Sometimes when I quote these prices to art directors on the east or west coasts they chuckle, and tell me I'm quite a bargin. If you can research how much other photogs are charging for similar jobs in your area it would be helpful in determining your prices and bargining.

You are a bargain ksmattfish, my day rate for interiors is twice that. You should still be able to use the images for self promotion. Shooting interiors can get expensive based on the lighting and how large the space is. What are you shooting it on? What are they wanting? If it is files, how large? BTW, I always shoot architecture with an assistant. Loading film holders or backs, moving lights, taking meter reading. You really need someone to be there if for nothing else than when the people that work there start walking up and you are in the middle of the shoot they can run interference. Good luck.

You are a bargain ksmattfish, my day rate for interiors is twice that.

That's Kansas for you. If my clients are from anywhere else I can charge x2 or x3. If my kids' Grandparents weren't here, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Thanks heaps for your detailed responses. I am thinking I am not ready to accept an offer like this. For one I am self-taught and really don't know enough about lighting plus I don't own any myself so would have to hire... Suppose I was hoping the rooms would be lit well enough and that bouncing my ex flash would be sufficient. Now that I am thinking more clearly, I know that lights would create a much more spectacular photo of an interior. Oh well! Thanks anyway x

Most reactions

Back