Needed Recommendations for 35mm SLRs

jrgoresko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been reading some reviews about 35mm SLR cameras, but thought I might get some worthwhile advice from people on here. I'm really not looking to get out of the $300-$399 range. There are even some cameras out there I've seen that look like they have all the features I want in the $200 dollar range. Anyway, I do almost all my shooting in black and white. Please give me suggestions.

I'm not an expert, but I recently bought a Nikon N75 and it is really great. It's in that price range and it gets excellent reviews.

I basically just want an automatic/manual with a built in flash. I plan to take most of my shots manually, although I'd like to be able to use automatic and have the shots still look nice if necessary. Anything else I should want that I didn't mention? Are having different types of settings for different shots important (i.e. action, close-ups, etc.) I read that the Nikon N75 is good too, although some people said its automatic pictures were bad.

h brand has it's followers who are gonna tell you why their brand is better. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, but an SLR from any of the big makers (Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax) in your price range is probably gonna do everything you want right now.

The best way to decide is to go to a camera shop and try them all out. Which one feels the most comfortable in your hand? Which one has the buttons and knobs in convenient spots for you? These are, to me, more important than the brand.

For me, the answer was Canon. I have 3 Canon bodies, and 5 lenses and couldn't be happier (unless someone decides to donate a 10D :D ).

So, if I was looking to buy with the amount of money you're talking, I'd go with a Canon Elan 7 or look for a used EOS 5 on eBay. These have a bit more rugged body than entry-level cameras and both have some features not found on entry level models.

Thanks for the tips. Can anyone else give me more suggestions? I read a lot of reviews that said Minolta has poor accessories for instance, so I wasn't going to buy one of their cameras.

I have quite a few cameras and use a Canon 10D most of the time. One of my favorite cameras is my Minolta 3xi. Manual, automatic - always reliable. Lenses and flashes are easy (and cheap) to come by. If I had to come up with one complaint, it's that it does not have the capability to hook up a cable release. If I want to do time shots, I use the automatic timer so that I don't shake the camera. Aside from that one item - it's my old faithful. :D

Most reactions

Back