Nervous as heck...

Just relax G!!! You can do it, no sweat. All the pressure is coming from YOU, and TO you...the bride just needs some snaps...You're amply ready...just stay focused, make sure the ISO levels, shutter speeds, and f/stops are all in the "safe" zone, and occasionally check the LCD to make sure everything is still working. I once had the flash synch on a Bronica CONK OUT RIGHT DURING the processional!!! ACK!!!! I had to switch to an entirely new second system in about 5 minutes, and it was locked in the car trunk outside....I LEFT the church, went to the car, and got out the Nikon + bracket + flash backup, plugged in the Quantum cord, and headed back in to the church....zOMG...I shot the first kiss and the walk out with 35mm!!! Perhaps the single most nerve-wracking photographic disaster I have ever encountered..

So, today cannot possibly be any worse than that! Go tear it up man!

You have second shot 50 weddings? Holy cow... You shouldn't be doing budget wedding.

You have second shot 50 weddings? Holy cow... You shouldn't be doing budget wedding.

I told you the reason I was doing it. I would like to think you would do the same under the same circumstances. What should I do? Just let her get a $200 craigslist photographer who just bought a camera? Like I said, it's more a wedding gift than a gig.

In any case, too late now. It's today, and obviously, I am already committed.

Just relax G!!! You can do it, no sweat. All the pressure is coming from YOU, and TO you...the bride just needs some snaps...You're amply ready...just stay focused, make sure the ISO levels, shutter speeds, and f/stops are all in the "safe" zone, and occasionally check the LCD to make sure everything is still working. I once had the flash synch on a Bronica CONK OUT RIGHT DURING the processional!!! ACK!!!! I had to switch to an entirely new second system in about 5 minutes, and it was locked in the car trunk outside....I LEFT the church, went to the car, and got out the Nikon + bracket + flash backup, plugged in the Quantum cord, and headed back in to the church....zOMG...I shot the first kiss and the walk out with 35mm!!! Perhaps the single most nerve-wracking photographic disaster I have ever encountered..

So, today cannot possibly be any worse than that! Go tear it up man!

No processional...the entire thing will be at a restaurant with a J.P. Actually, that's what worries me the most...not knowing how to make what will be a very budget limited affair look amazing.

Just about everything I have done before was high end. It wasn't hard to find 'pretty' things. This one will be a challenge for me. At this point, I guess I will abandon pretty and just do my best to capture 'her' day to the best of my ability.

In all honesty, that is what I really need advice on. The rest of the thread was pretty much in jest, but making a budget wedding look fabulous is something I really am worried about. I'll shoot shallow and fill the frame to minimize distractions. I will also take overall pictures, but I need to seriously work on not being snobish about what shots to take. It's the best she can afford. What I think shouldn't matter. I need to do my best to capture her day, and not what I think her day 'should look like'.

Last edited:
Just tell them to tip you whatever. Dont ask for money. Nickle and diming a budget wedding is not worth it IMO. I would probably just give them the files. Charging them for prints will cause more problem IMO.

I am not charging them for prints. I am basically going to take whatever her sister does give me and put together an album and hopefully one large print. We'll see how far the budget goes. And yes, I do plan on giving her a DVD with the files.

This is more of a wedding gift than a gig. I have no intention of nickle and diming this. There aren't that many nickle and dimes to go around, and she's trying to start a new life.
Good on ya'!

I told you the reason I was doing it. I would like to think you would do the same under the same circumstances. What should I do? Just let her get a $200 craigslist photographer who just bought a camera? Like I said, it's more a wedding gift than a gig.

All the jesting in this thread aside, it's nice to hear about someone willing to help out someone else and not worrying only about the almighty dollar!

All the jesting in this thread aside, it's nice to hear about someone willing to help out someone else and not worrying only about the almighty dollar!

Thanks. I just hope I do a good job.

Don't we all hope for that? ;) Here's my prediction: You're going to come home thinking, "Crap, I should have shot that...." and "Dam, I should have been over there for the...." etc, etc. You're going to post a few here to good review, and the bride and groom (who are all that matters) are going to be thrilled. Let me know how close I was, okay?

Don't we all hope for that? ;) Here's my prediction: You're going to come home thinking, "Crap, I should have shot that...." and "Dam, I should have been over there for the...." etc, etc. You're going to post a few here to good review, and the bride and groom (who are all that matters) are going to be thrilled. Let me know how close I was, okay?

Hopefully, you will be pretty close. Only exception is Schwetty will tear them apart. It's all good, though.

tirediron said:

I agree. I think it's very sweet!

Kerbouchard said:
@rexbobcat...Sorry you took this post seriously. I do appreciate that you were trying to help, but most of my responses have been in jest. I've shot over 50 weddings. This just happens to be my first solo. I have the gear. I have the experience. This is just the first without a safety net. Again, I appreciate your help, but there won't be any lens or flash additions on my part over the next few hours.

This thread was pretty much for entertainment value...just trying to break the tension. I'll post some pics tomorrow or the next day to show how it turned out.

I was skeptical lol. I thought I saw you post some photos from a wedding but I get people mixed up on here so I wasn't sure.

Well what lenses do you have? As far as aperture, its kinda hard to tell you what to chose because every situation is different. Most times you going to want to chose a large aperture to isolate the backgrounds. The lenses I would bring are the 70-200 2.8 and the 24-70 2.8 but thats what I have and not knowing what you have is hard to give advice.
Also do you have any external flash equipment? Tripod? Almost all wedding enviroments have poor lighting so your going to need more than just a camera and lense.

My apology. Once again I failed to read. I just saw someone you work with. Last time I helped someone like this, I got to the wedding and see they have spent **** load of money on other things. After I delivered the photos, I didnt even get a thanks. Sure, it wasnt the greatest work but I did it all for free. So I dont know what I would have done. I may have done the same thing or maybe get her in touch with other photographers I know in town who are trying to get their feet wet in wedding photography. So hopefully she deserves the help and it sounds like she does.

Hopefully, you will be pretty close. Only exception is Schwetty will tear them apart. It's all good, though.
Damn right :). This is assuming you are sharing it :). Now you just set the bar even higher since you told me you have 2nd shoot 50 times! I have only done 12 (main and 2nd combined).

I hate when I get to all the fun threads a day late! I was gonna recommend that you left the DSLR at home and bring the pro Polariod so you can just hand 'em their photos right then! Also, bring a roll of Scotch tape and you can make them a book before you deliver it!

---Chris

Well, I survived. Right now all the pictures look blurry. Hopefully, they won't be as blurry when I sober up. :wink:

Just kidding. Everything went fine. Formals sucked because there was literally not one possible background that wasn't distracting. Everything else was pretty much fine. Now for the fun part...actually processing an entire wedding. Wish me luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back