Neutral Density Filter+Daytime Long Exposure

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been doing some research and playing around with long exposure photography at night, but as I watched/read more tutorials of long exposure, they mentioned that for DAYTIME long exposure you must use a neutral density filter. Now I been wanted to purchase one, but don't know which one. I plan on taking long exposure of waterfall, fountains, clouds, weather, etc.; though it depends the the lighting/environment/exposure adjustments/etc. which would be a good filter to start out with? I had some basic questions that were hoping you guys could help me with...

1) Which brand for a neutral density filter (or filters in general) or do brands really matter that much? I did some research and noticed that the higher quality filters were B&W, Nikon, Canon. But Hoya is also a great brand and Tiffen are lower quality than the other brands, BUT still good.

2) The main question, which filter to get? How dark of a ND filter should a beginner purchase? Again, I'm a noob to photography, but I noticed they're darkness is measured by f-stops or ranked from 1-10, is that correct?

3) Any tips/advice with ND filters or long exposure during the day, I've watched some good tutorials and and extra help would be GREAT!

Also if it helps, I'm using a Nikon D3100 (18-55mm, 52mm filters)!

Thanks!
0ptics

I've been having fun playing with a 9-stop Hoya filter on a Nikon D90 on the 18-55 kit lens (52mm)

I don't know about any of the other brands. 9-stops seems good for daytime shots. I've been able to take 30 second exposures on cloudy days and on sunny days towards sunset. These filters are very dark and you can hardly see through the lens to focus or compose......and your light meter becomes useless.

For more general exposures, such as when you want to use a large aperture on a very sunny day, get a 3 stop ND filter.....for long exposures, go higher (but you will still have to stop down your aperture quite a bit).

See my prior thread for some pics I've taken with this. Still working out the bugs. There is a link there to a good article on using 9 and 10 stop filters.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...o-gallery/264517-another-afternoon-beach.html

Ya so far the articles I've read state that a 9-stop/10-stop ND filter is a good choice for daytime long exposure; but I couldn't find many online stores that sell them for a good price, the cheapest I've found is Hoya 9-stop 52mm for about $60ish at B&H, I looked at Adorama and Amazon, but wasn't much cheaper. So ya should I just purchase it off B&H than?

And btw thanks for the samples Desi, some pretty good shots :)! Really like #2 and 4!

0ptics

Remember to use ND filters with discretion. For example, it might not be wise to use them over cloudy skies, because it will give your piece a gloomy-doomy feel to it. These filters can work well over mountainous/waterfall captures, typically with 2/3rds of the capture not being the sky to avoid the aforementioned.

However, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish artistically with your capture. Experiment, and post what you've done so we can see what you're trying to do. :)

EDIT: For example, I prefer the long exposures Desi linked to over his ones produced with the ND filter. To each their own though.

Last edited:
B+W definitely makes the best filters. Give them a look.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

Ya I plan on shooting during early.afternoon or when the sunlight is at its peak, but yes I ended up purchasing the Hoya 52mm ND 9-stop so ya hopefully it'll come out well!

0ptics

I love the search function. Saved me from starting a new thread and looking like the noob I am! :)

I'm heading to the frozen tundra of Michigan's Northern Lower Peninsula in a few weeks and want to take some landscape shots. I know one area I'm interested will still have flowing water, based on the temperatures around here lately.

I'd like to get exposure times of 15 sec or better and I'd like to cut the glare from the snow. Will an ND filter accomplish both, or should I be thinking about stacking it with a polarizing filter? (I've got a Hoya HD that's aching for a little playtime).

WhiskeyTango

What purpose would a day long exposure serve?

What purpose would a day long exposure serve?

In this instance, the goal is rapidly flowing water with the "cotton candy" look.

Yeah... And it doesn't take a day long exposure to get that.

LMAO!

Well, the title of the thread included "daytime" long exposure, not "day" long exposure. I don't think anyone had shutter times approaching 24 hours in mind...

The only intentional motion blur I've done so far was tail lights. I shot those with an 8 sec shutter speed and figured with a slower moving subject (water), having less exposure differential to background, that I would want to go longer.

Then again, I've often been accused of over thinking things. :)

Please feel free to offer enlightenment (pun intended).

Oh, I guess I was reading it as "a long exposure for the duration of the daytime" (I.E. after the sun-rises, before the sun sets). My bad.

Oh, I guess I was reading it as "a long exposure for the duration of the daytime" (I.E. after the sun-rises, before the sun sets). My bad.

No worries. I can't go more than a few hours without a "mea culpa." I'm sure you'll catch me choking on a mouthful of my own foot in the near future. :)

No worries. I can't go more than a few hours without a "mea culpa." I'm sure you'll catch me choking on a mouthful of my own foot in the near future. :)

You must have bad breath by now.:lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back