NEVER buy a BB Service Plan

Rahb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
NEVER EVER PURCHASE a computer (laptop or otherwise) from Best Buy with a Service Plan. I spent the extra money thinking hey if any thing goes wrong............I was wrong.
My wife's laptop DVD rom stopped working, we sent it in...they wiped the Hard Drive and it took 2 weeks, I sent it in a second time (angry that I losat all data and problem wasn't fixed) Specific instructions about dvd rom....they wiped hard drive a second time. I sent it in the third time. they showed they put a new dvd drive ($129 part..free because of plan) I get it back.....same drive same problem.....NOW I'm ****ed...fouerth time they "cleaned" the drive...5th time and they seem to not know where it is or wat's going on.
THEY don't fix it...they send it off and it takes FOREVER. Then when you talk to the "geek squad" they are mostly 16 y/o part time employees who seriously can't figure out why their computer was looking up looking for my computer. HORRIBLE Customer service, and a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY.
If I sent my computer in to gateway (the maker) myself instead of through bestbuy, I would have had the new dvd drive for $120 by now ... AND I STILL WOULD HAVE SAVED MONEY.

Well now I know. I'm sorry about all that..

*gives you candy*

I hope this makes you feel better

Best Buy has or at least had a clause in the plan that if after a third repair the probem is not corrected, the computer gets replaced competely!!

You need to check into this. This happened to me. After the third time and it was not fixed they gave me full purchase price back to another computer (my model was not made anymore)!

I am not a big fan of Best Buy for other reasons, but the one thing they did do right. And as for the HD issue. Almost every place will wipe a HD, most have a sign or statement on service recipt that they can and or will clear the HD.

Circuit city has a wonderful protection plan as does Fry's. I've worked at both and the service plans they offer are both very forgiving and neither would've left you without a computer while yours was being worked on. Ritz Camera has one too that will even cover "abuse" on lenses that seems to be very good. On things like computers and cameras they are more than worth it as long as it's from a good place and doesn't cost more than replacement.

Not sure about your experiences, but I've seen amazing things out of their service plan. I had a friend who, over the course of three years, slowly had his 10GB iPod upgraded generation by generation as it broke all the way to a 60GB 5G iPod, all off the BB warranty. He got the warranty for a computer he bought there, and when the Video Card died nearly 5 years later they replaced it with a current-gen model. Their plan is actually pretty solid.

AVOID the Geek Squad, however. Their hiring practices consider marketing skills more important than technical knowledge, and they are all without exception legally retarded. I wouldn't trust them to find the power switch on my machine.

I happen to prefer bestbuy to circuit city. If you ***** enough at best buy they will usually give you your money back. Even if they don't and you have to follow the service plan, they continue the service plan after your item is fixed. With circuit city, once you use your service plan, it's over even if you still had xx months/years left on it. You have to purchase a new one. :thumbdown:

I don't ever buy from those places. You can get what they sell so much cheaper other places, and you get the manufacturer warantee anyway?

i would never buy a computer from best buy (it helps that i'm a mac user :p), but i did buy the service plan on a printer i bought there. . . it broke after three years, but i had a four year plan and they replaced it for free. (the second one was actually better!)

Most reactions

Back