New 24-70 & D7100

zutty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got my 24-70 2.8 yesterday and I took a few shots to make sure it was working OK. I used the new D7100 I got too. Being a novice, can anyone tell me if these shots look OK as far as the lens is concerned. I'm just paranoid that the lens is doing what it's supposed to do focus..etc. It may seem stupid but this is a huge purchase for me. Thanks!

Attachments

• $7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD1b.jpg
    $7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD1b.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 81
  • $7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD5c.jpg
    $7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD5c.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 82
  • $7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD7.jpg
    $7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD7.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 94
The shots you've uploaded look fine as they are. Your lens should be 100% fine, I wouldn't worry.

You should note that you did make a few mistakes with your request though:
1) You uploaded files at very low resolutions. It would be better to upload full resolution (or close to full resolution) JPEGS, or even the actual RAW files for examination.
2) You uploaded images that appear to be shot well above f2.8. If you want to see if your lens has any issues, shoot at a range of apertures (including f2.8).

Nevertheless, I seriously doubt you'll have any hardware-end issues. You have a great warranty with your lens and your camera. You have focus fine-tune adjustment if your 24-70 doesn't focus 100% perfectly with your camera body, and you have a warranty if anything ever gets out of line. If you do encounter any issues, you should give your gear the benefit of the doubt and check your technique first (ie. getting exposure wrong, or shooting at too slow of a shutter speed / poor hand-holding technique to mitigate camera shake at the chosen shutter speed, etc).

It frustrates me that someone who can afford the middle child from the trinity has to ask others if the lens is working.....

Admit it - you just wanted to show off your impressive ability for composition !!!

The AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 is a highend piece of glas - no chance to actually check for sharpness at these low resolutions. What I can see looks fine, though.

It frustrates me that someone who can afford the middle child from the trinity has to ask others if the lens is working.....
While he might not be technically that skilled yet, his eye for great pictures doesnt put him to shame.

Hey Zutty....looks good to me...actually great! Since I WANT one of those lenses! It would complete my trinity of Nikons too!

I'm sorry that my question frustrates you. As I have posted elsewhere in this forum, I was a full time working musician, who had to retire due to severe health issues, so I sold my equipment and decided to use photography as my creative outlet. THAT is where my money came from, not a trust fund. I am in the process of learning and your implication that I am pretty much an idiot to have bought nice equipment which by the way, with which I will eventually create some beauty, is rather demeaning. Try and post more positive criticism please.

Last edited:
Admit it - you just wanted to show off your impressive ability for composition !!!

The AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 is a highend piece of glas - no chance to actually check for sharpness at these low resolutions. What I can see looks fine, though.
Solar, I truly consider myself a rank amateur at this point. But I really appreciate the compliment. At this point I can use it...grin. How would I go about posting better resolution photos here? And what type? Thanks

The shots you've uploaded look fine as they are. Your lens should be 100% fine, I wouldn't worry.

You should note that you did make a few mistakes with your request though:
1) You uploaded files at very low resolutions. It would be better to upload full resolution (or close to full resolution) JPEGS, or even the actual RAW files for examination.
2) You uploaded images that appear to be shot well above f2.8. If you want to see if your lens has any issues, shoot at a range of apertures (including f2.8).

Nevertheless, I seriously doubt you'll have any hardware-end issues. You have a great warranty with your lens and your camera. You have focus fine-tune adjustment if your 24-70 doesn't focus 100% perfectly with your camera body, and you have a warranty if anything ever gets out of line. If you do encounter any issues, you should give your gear the benefit of the doubt and check your technique first (ie. getting exposure wrong, or shooting at too slow of a shutter speed / poor hand-holding technique to mitigate camera shake at the chosen shutter speed, etc).

PaulWog provided great advice and I would look into what he said. Try taking photos with your hugest aperture to get the blurred background and post your photos at full resolution.

I wish you you look and hope to see your photos in the future. You have potential and the right camera gear.

Do you have a tripod?

Thanks for the support Cuff. I do have a tripod, An Induro 313 with a BH3 ballhead. I will be taking it out with me soon.

#3 boggles my mind that the sky in the reflection is brighter than the actual sky. I'd fix the sky so that it's less sepia-toned and make it brighter too. Otherwise a great photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back