New (again) to photography and looking for a camera...

Fire-n-Gin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Shutterbugs...At one time in my life I was starting to call myself a photographer then life got in the way and I backed off the hobby. I'm interested in getting back into it now and have no idea what kind of equipment to start with.

We were camping with some friends this weekend and I was able to use her Nikon D40x and really liked it. I'm inclined to simply go out and buy what she has, but I'd like some advise from you guys first...

Thanks, Rodd

it all depends on

- what your financial limits are / what you are willing to spend.

- what sort of shooting you will use the camera for (sports, landscape, abstract, portrait, what is your favourite)

- what you will use the images for (huge scale prints, publishing in magazines, small prints, online)

- what your demand/expectation on image quality is

without that info, we will tell you to get a medium format digital, with a great collection of lenses. Be prepared to spend 30K plus ... :p

I've had very simple to use digital Fuji
Finepix
F700 for the past 5 years or so and it's just not doing it for me anymore. It's great to shoot family stuff, but I can't get the real feel of photography with it.

$30K! Wow, are you trying to scare me right out of it? I understand the never ending collection of lenses, but let's stick to what body to buy for now...

I've had very simple to use digital Fuji
Finepix
F700 for the past 5 years or so and it's just not doing it for me anymore. It's great to shoot family stuff, but I can't get the real feel of photography with it.

$30K! Wow, are you trying to scare me right out of it? I understand the never ending collection of lenses, but let's stick to what body to buy for now...

not trying to scare you at all ... you can easily spend that amount or more on camera gear. and there is even use for it.

but usually that sort of gear is for professionals with special need in resolution who really need it, or people who do not need to care about money. with MF the body alone could be in the 10-20K range.

But anyway, I am not a Nikon-expert, if you go with Nikon, the D40x is probably not a bad camera for you. There will probably be some limitations which could justify getting a D80 or a second hand D70 ... but here Nikon-shooters should step in as they know more about it than I do.

As Alex says the D40x is limited in what lenses you can use as far as full functionality. If you can swing one the D80 would serve you better and, give you the full use of any lens that Nikon makes and, other manufacturers such as Sigma or, Tamron. If you dont plan on getting heavily into photography then it should serve you well, just remember you need to stay with AF-S or AF-I lenses. All other lenses you will need to shoot manually.

These photos just don't do those views any justice at all...

I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars, just a simple machine to make these kinds of shots look a little better.

You dont have to spend that much money to get a great picture...A true talented person can get a great shot with any camera! To enhance picture try using PS or Lightroom...

Just have fun taking pictures! Im new at this and learn something every time I take pictures...Including on a photoshoot!

Unless you become a professional photographer that happens to win the lottery, it is unlikely that you will be spending 30k any time soon.

At the moment, I would recommend a D70s. The D40/D40x/D60 are all great cameras, but they are very tiny (sometimes a good thing) and have very poor build quality. They are great for beginners, but everything on the D40 is kind of hand holding, and it works more like a point and shoot. The D70s may be older, however it is much easier to grow into, has better build quality with twice the shutter actuation life of the D40/D40x.

But most of all, it has an in body AF motor, a major feature that the D40/D40x/D60 lacks. MF is fun at first, but it gets frustrating, especially with lenses with low F stops (50mm F1.8). A D70 is slightly larger and heavier, but I prefer slightly heftier cameras. If you have tiny hands and not planning on photographing anything that moves too fast, the D40 is a great camera. But, it has some severe flaws that lead me to recommend a D70s or at least a D50. The D70s is about the same price and you're going to get twice the life out of it. D70s bodies go for about $350 used, and you can get a good starter lens for about $70-100 more. If you shop hard, a D40 is going to be around that same price.

Just my honest opinion.

but usually that sort of gear is for professionals with special need in resolution who really need it, or people who do not need to care about money. with MF the body alone could be in the 10-20K range.

I don't think a beginner amateur is going to go straight for the Hasselblad.

Thank you...That's what I was looking for. I am a big guy with big hands and don't mind carrying around a large camera, if it will take the shots that I'm looking for. We have 3 kids that move fast and only hold "that look" for a microsecond (another reason I have the F700).

Perhaps I should actually go to a camera shop ad feel a few...

good luck finding a Nikon D70s in the stores its sorta a old camera
but is a good camera
but u could save $150 and get a D70 with the same lens
a D70 used with a 18-70 will run u $450 at adorama

yes that is the exact deal that i got
it came with everything that normaly comes in the packedge
caps, hood, battery, etc.
i even got a wireless ml-l3 controller
so it was a great deal and
that camera was in great condition.

Most reactions

New Topics