New and first picture post!

iadubber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I have been lurking here for some time now, deciding on what to purchase. I ended up with a Canon 350D with the 18-55 kit lens and I just got the 50mm f/1.8 nifty fifty. This is one of the first pictures I took with it Saturday while washing my BMW. Hope you like it and C+C welcome for my first post!

3571085148_898faa5850_o.jpg

Looks like the typical "I just got my sweet fast prime, so I'm going to play with DoF shot." People make fun of the shot, but everyone has one on a negative or hard drive somewhere. Don't be discouraged by the haters. Have fun with the camera and lens. :)

Looks like the typical "I just got my sweet fast prime, so I'm going to play with DoF shot." People make fun of the shot, but everyone has one on a negative or hard drive somewhere. Don't be discouraged by the haters. Have fun with the camera and lens. :)

Thanks for the warning! <flamesuit on>

gotta love the nifty fifty! and BTW WELCOME!!

Indeed. We all might have one, but that's a pretty good one to have.

And I prefer to call that guy "fantastic plastic", because of the plastic lens bracket, but only because I switch lenses a lot and rather quickly; I need something that'll hold up to my slight bit of brutishness when trying to 'nab a quick shot with a different lens.

But hey, it's a sweet lens for the price. Have fun with it! :D

I will try to be careful with it. Gaerek, thanks for the tip on DOF. I read a nice PDF explaining and going through the theory of DOF. Now at least I understand how it works and how aperature is the deal maker when deciding on a proper DOF.

I will try to be careful with it. Gaerek, thanks for the tip on DOF. I read a nice PDF explaining and going through the theory of DOF. Now at least I understand how it works and how aperature is the deal maker when deciding on a proper DOF.
DOF depends on several factors, not just aperture size. Focal length and distance between the camera and the subject also effect DOF. The closer you are to the subject, the shallower the DOF becomes. The farther you get, the deeper the DOF becomes. And long focal length lenses will give you a tighter DOF than wider lenses.

Most reactions

Back