New and overwhelmed

amberdawn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I just purchased a T2i and I feel so overwhelmed so far. Where should I start? I know I need to purchase some new lense. There are so many setting I'm not sure what is important or not. I was a model for years in front of the camera but being behind it its very though.

Hi everyone! I just purchased a T2i and I feel so overwhelmed so far. Where should I start? I know I need to purchase some new lense. There are so many setting I'm not sure what is important or not. I was a model for years in front of the camera but being behind it its very though.

Why in the "H" do you "know" that you need to buy new lenses. Is it because of all the bad advice on forums that constantly claim every lens that a person owns is bad and that they need to buy the better one that they don't have? Forget such bad advice.

Where to start? With your manual!

Sit down with the manual and read a section and play with with whatever you read about on your camera. Take it step by step and as you read things experiment with the camera. You may need to read the manual more than once! Once you feel a little comfortable with the camera read a novice book on taking photos. A book mentioned here all the time is Bryon Peterson's Understanding Exposure - it's a great book for a newbie. All the while take photos, even in just auto until you understand things. Once you get to changing camera settings, leave auto and use the various program modes and eventually manual - it is easier than people think.

As far as lenses, I agree with sobolik 100%. Learn how to use what you have and eventually a new lens may be what's needed but not right away. I think new lenses are recommended too many times to a newbie.

Yeah no reason to buy new gear until you feel like the gear you have is limiting you somehow, and when you know how you can make better decisions about what to buy.

Learn one thing at a time, and practice until you understand it. If you need help understanding it, feel free to ask questions, but make sure you've at least read the manual first.

One of the fun things about learning photography is that there's always more to learn and more skills to develop. Don't try to learn it all at once though, you'll drive yourself crazy. :p

Two years ago I bought a new lens because I thought I needed one before I actually understood fully how my camera worked and what I wanted to do with my photography. That was $300 down the drain because I hardly ever use the lens.

Learn your camera settings by reading the manual but most important you need to research how to properly expose a picture because if you don't know that then your just as well of with a point and shoot camera.

Practice practice practice :)

I know that other examples aren't needed, but for the past 3 years I have been using my stock 18-55 and I can tell you any lens I would have bought would have been out of ignorance I just recently got a new zoom lens after 3.5 years of owning an slr. Remember its not the equipment you own that makes you a good photographer its how well you know how to use the camera. And as far as learning how to use it. Read the manual and experiment by taking pictures just around the house or really anywhere and mess with the settings a bit eventually you'l learn. Be patient

Just wanted to say Hi, and that I know exactly what you mean - I've just been given this incredible camera for christmas...and I too am feeling extremely overwhelmed!!

+1 on the book! I just got it this week from Amazon for $15. As a noob, I am fascinated with each page. The book is filled with example photos using different camera settings. I can't recommend it enough! Congrats on your new SLR!

Go out and take pics in AV, TV, Manual and etc. Take lots! I would always remember TV is for fast things, AV is for things that stand still. The P, your able to control flash. If you start getting frustrated, turn it to P or the green box. When you do that, your kind of doing a point a shoot and it takes the guess work out of photographing.

Maybe check out the T2i for dummies book.
Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (9780470768815): Julie Adair King, Dan Burkholder: Books

I just bought a Nikon D3000 and manual that came with it was sparse to say the least. So I bought the "dummies" book and it is excellent. I see the T2i is by the same author, so I think I can recommend it.

I also am going through Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" and it too is excellent.

Have fun with your new camera!

Rick

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello and welcome!!! At one time or another we are all overwhelmed . So take your time dont rush through the manuel and practice. Shoot on every setting your camera has so that you can get to know your camera. once your learn how to use your camera you will feel better . I was just like that when I got mine. So take your time and keep shooting and learning!!!!

Thanks everyone. Right now I have the stock lens, everyone told me right away to go buy a new one. I read my manual several times when I purchased the camera, so hopefully the book will be of more help! I'm not looking to be a professional, just hoping to take awesome photos of my baby boy :D

Go out and take pics in AV, TV, Manual and etc. Take lots! I would always remember TV is for fast things, AV is for things that stand still. The P, your able to control flash. If you start getting frustrated, turn it to P or the green box. When you do that, your kind of doing a point a shoot and it takes the guess work out of photographing.

SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWW down there..... You will gain nothing by randomly spinning dials without the care or knowledge of what they do. Take all the bad photos you want, you will learn nothing and probably just get frustrated and quit.

Read your manual. Then, read it again with your camera in your lap. Next, Understanding Exposure is a good simple book to explain what those dials and buttons do and why they do it.

Next, take a deep breath and post up some photos here for people to comment on, you may not like what people say, but learn from it what you can. Ask questions and read the answers. Apply this new found knowledge and repost your results.

A small photography class at a community center or college would be very helpful as well.

As for buying a new lens. I agree with learning with what you got, but I would also suggest a 50mm 1.8. It is a simple, cheap lens that will help you understand photography a bit more in depth.

p!nK

Just got the same camera...been taking pics for the past week. I found it useful to find an item, in my case a Christmas tree ornament, and take several pictures of the same thing. Each time I adjust a setting to see the results.

Keep reading! Great tutorials in the stickies.

Mike3767 provides helpful advice.

I'm certainly a noob, but I am enjoying this camera.

Take lots of shots!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back